My new bass [pics]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Got it this past sunday! I've never seen one exactly like this, it says "the CAT bass by Aria Pro II." With my Holmesian deductive skills I have determined that the previous owner was not a very good bassist, because 1) the E and A strings were deader than Aaliyah, while the others are relatively fresh, and 2) there are lots of pick scratches around the lower horn, which, combined with the previous fact, indicates atrocious technique. The controls are volume, tone, and a 3-way selector.

as for my impressions of the bass:

<ul><li>The neck has a lot of bow and the truss rod trench is not long enough, meaning I had to take off the neck to tweak it. The action is still very high and I do not want to do it again.
    <li>I'll have to get straplocks or something on it immediately; look at the ridiculous angle of that strap button!
    <li>The string tree does not have any grooves, so the strings are just rubbing against sharp edges. This makes me apprehensive about breakage.
    <li>Noisy electronics.</ul>

<ul><li>Noise notwithstanding, the tones are pretty solid.
    <li>So is the construction.
    <li>It was FREE
    <li>I don't feel compelled to baby it, and I will not be afraid to knock it around and put a bunch of stickers on it or try to refinish it.</ul>

2. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    That looks like a great free bass to me! Although, even if I got one for free, I doubt that I'd use stickers...

Can you move that upper horn strap button to either the inside of the curve, or the back of the horn (like some of the Guild Pilot basses)?

Do you live in a dorm or something?

3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    DHC... It looks to be in pretty fair shape! Excellent for a free bass, (How's come these never seem to come my way??)... Another item on the 'pro' list... standard pickup routs, easy to upgrade!

4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Life in the hallways of 'C' ward :D

5. Every instrument should be well taken care of.

Every time I hear someone who scored a free or cheap instrument say they plan on knocking it about I want to take the instrument and give it to someone who will treat it well.

Donate it to a school and knock around a 2x4.
  6. black just really bores me.

i was thinking that. or maybe a bunch of duct tape.

yep, a frat house in particular.
  7. i didn't say i plan on knocking it around. it's just that i won't be OCD about it like i am with my Reverend.
  8. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    How was that strap button a good idea? I wouldnt you said it was FREE!!!
  9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If people didn't get free or cheap gear, they may not feel compelled to experiment with it... they may not try a setup themselves... they may not try to move a strap button... they may not try a refinish...

If people never experimented with expendable gear, we may not have had basses like Sadowsky, Fodera, Alembic, etc. I'm sure these guys didn't come out of high school and say "Hey, even though I've never screwed around with techniques regarding intonation, color, shape, size, and electronics in an instrument, I think Luthierie is the field for me and I'll be the best."

I'm sure these guys f'd up a few guitars before they even thought about building one from scratch. Who knows... Dancehallclasher may be the next Roger Sadowski... But he's gonna have to F-up that bass first. Go to it, brother! Learn the ways of the Bass tech... they are fun and relatively simple.
  10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    If it had a Fender headstock it would look almost identical to a JP-90 to me. Nice score. :)
  11. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    A free bass is a good bass!!!:D
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, DHC - does this mean I can have your Reverend now?
  13. I love the bass, but i really dig the hairdo, dude ! :D
    you look a little like Incubus' guitarplayer with black hair now :D

if you make some smooth groves in the nut, smack some barts in it and tweak it a little.. i'll bet it's a killer :)

My very first bass was an Aria Pro II.. i put other pickups in it, and i've never forgiven myself to sell it.. :( it sounded soo sweet.. but the body was pretty beaten up by it's previous owner :(
  14. How come I never get free gear?

Looks good for a beater bass, thats for sure.
  15. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000

Free basses rule! :D
  16. First off--love the hair. It looks like mine, only less "controlled." :D Glad to know I'm not the only white afro boy ;) :D
    Second--any free bass is a good bass, as long as it isn't a Rogue (unless you're going to tear it apart, of course ;) ). I've been thinking of replacing the pickups and elelctronics on my Squier P-bass Special, as well as refinishing it. Why, great hairs must think alike (yeah, I know, that was cruel...don't hurt me...:D)!