Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new bass: Weird Japanese "National" Les Paul

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by junglebike, Jun 4, 2004.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Anyone seen one of these before?

my e-bay bass

I haven't. It just looks so cool I couldn't pass it up. Getting tired of the P/J thing, and looking for a cheap funky bass...

thoughts on repairing that tuning peg? Needs a new nut, too.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    That is cool! As far as the tuning peg, you may have to shop around for a similar 2+2 set. Let us know how it sounds.

3. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Will do. I've never seen tuning pegs quite like those -- is there a good source you know of?

4. Don't try to "restore" it - just replace, upgrade, and hotrod what it is with good stuff and you'll do fine. Is it a bolt-on or a set neck? Set of EMG's, Gotoh tuners, brass nut.

I'da jumped on that deal too!

5. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    neat!

any idea what year it was made? that looks like a copyright-infringing headstock....

6. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Not sure of the year, but I do know it's a bolt on. I'm guessing late '70s though. I think it'll be a fun project. Anxious to hear how it sounds, and if the pickups are decent. They sure look cool...

7. There was a Japanese company that made Electra as well as many other brands of guitars and basses. This bass is identical to the Electra Rockbass. From an Electra web site http://www.herons.ca/electra/

"Electra guitars were imported from Japan by the Saint Louis Music (SLM) of Saint Louis, Missouri from 1971 to 1984 (most MPC models were made by Matsumoku of Matsumoku , Japan) . Matsumoku has made many popular guitar brands over the years including; Aria, Westbury, Westone, Epiphone, Vantage & Vox to name but a few."

And yes, their Les Paul guitar was subject to copyright infringment claims.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I wonder if someday 30 years from now someone will have a Rondo import website like that Electra one. :)

9. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Man, that's a great score!

You could go with the Hipshot tuners, as they are reversable for using on either side of the headstock.

:^)~

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The tuners look like the ones that were on my old Vantage. They were the worst part of that bass, they constantly slipped out of tune.

11. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    God love Talkbass! Thanks a ton, guys.

Well, I'll certainly swap out all the tuners. I can't wait to get the thing in my hands so I can pick out the hardware. I'll let y'all know how she sounds!