My NEw Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Mar 15, 2001.

1. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Yes yes yes, the G.A.S. filled DarkMazda has gotten another bass!! I guess ya'll will like this one :) Its a used 1995-96 Modulus Quantum 5 ^_^; YES!! Im Climbing the Ladder of "MORE STRINGS" Before you know it, I'll be getting 6s and 7's. Maybe some Conklins!(Winks at JT) but this will be my FIRST ever 5 string. I Guess playing that one Ken Smith 5 made realize, "I MUST PLAY A 5!"(well some other influences told me to play 5 strings as well). I can't believe how STRAIGHT this neck is. I checked it and I was like "WHOA! This has no Tross Rod?!?!"(which it doesn't since Modulus started putting Tross Rods in about 1997 was it?) The neck is pretty thin! I was suprised on how thin it was. Its thinner than a Dean Edge, or my Salas. But yeah, I can access the fretboard VERY easly, I love it. ^^; Anyways, want a pic? Here ya go :)
    I REALLY gotta change the strings on this.. its SOOOO DEAD makes the bass sound like a Rogue... ugh... but i mean $1200 for that isn't bad :) I'm planning to get the EMGs taken out and put Barts.. but I Think I'll keep the EMGs on for now.. But I'll prolly change the bridge to a nice Gold Chrome ABM ^_^;
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, DM!

Sweet looking bass!

Give us a review in a few days, after you have a chance to play it in a band situation.
  3. Congats on the new bass, Looks awesome.
    Love that flamed maple.
  4. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hey Dark that is one sweet top! We'll need a review on how you like the Graphite 5 neck.
    Congrats!! Go make some thunder:)
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Gee, now where'd you get the idea for this bass? ;) :D
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    NICE BASS!!!! I'd leave the EMG's in it, but that's just me. :)
  7. embellisher

Nino, EMGs are cool if that's the sound that you are looking for, but have you ever heard a composite neck bass with active EMGs?
  8. congratulations, she's a beaut!
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Will C.:cool:
  10. Love that luminescent emerald green color. Beautiful!
  11. embellisher

Yeah, they sound kinda like composite Steinbergers.:)

Actually, the Modulus(several) and Zon(1) basses that I have heard with EMGs have a different sound than the classic Steinberger compressed, modern sound. I don't know if it has to do with the differences in the Steinberger Blend vs. Modulus' composite materials, but the ones that I have played are very harsh and bright. Sterile does not even begin to describe the sound that my ears hear.

Of course, I am sure that they would cut through the mix very well in a loud rock or metal band, but a set of Barts would warm the bass up quite a bit.
  12. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    now darkmazda, werent you getting on to me for wanting an expensive bass? =)
  13. That's an awsome looking bass. Very sweet! Congrats!
  14. Definately a beaut, might have to get one myself, lol
  15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey man, ive heard him play, and i'll be the first (and probably not the last) to say that Modulus is going into good hands. Hes practiced hard, man! Besides, he's in a band that both does gigs AND is recording. That never hurts. Whats your situation, eh? ;) :)

BTW, Embellisher, the EMGs with a Modulus usually just need some good strings (hard to find!), and they'd be fine. Still a bit bright (ahem, sterile) for my tastes, but im not an EMG guy.
  16. Very nice looking bass, Dark Mazda. I like that green finish, I bet it sounds great too. Nothing beats my P-bass though, so suck it! :D
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And here I am with my crappy Ibanez. Oh well... I'll get a nice bass one of these days.
  18. Now,don`t go forgetting about the Salas,"Mr. FiveString"!! ;)

Great looking Bass DM!Love the color too! :D

Brendan,I feel your pain!!! *frowning at his Ibanez*

If there is no truss rod how does the neck keep from being bowed/bent out of shape over time?Is it because it is made of graphite or...?
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What really stings is that I like the color on DM's new bass....
  20. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    heya DM,

zappa here...congrats on the new baby!!!

since you succumbed to the non-4 string, fretless next?!?!?!?

DO IT!!!!