Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new bass!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by emielow, Sep 27, 2005.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    yess.. i have bought it...

here 2 pics (sorry for the size)

and a few links, to other pics (because of the size)

what do you think of t?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the rest

www.glovepuppets.nl/emiel contrabas 1/8

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice looking bass! Hofners are usually really solid instruments. You should get years of great playing out of it! How does it sound(without the Fishman;) )

3. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    sounds good to me... haha it's my first (upright) bass, so..

the sound is not as bright as a electric bass, so its different haha

i have never really played a upright bass before, but i can find my way on this thing, it's not THAT difficult as i thought it would be,

and, is fishman not good? i not really tried it very well, just on a cheap ass behringer practice amp. i also have a ebs hd 350 + bag end 210 speaker, maybe it sounds better on that amp. or is it a ****ty pickup, is that what you mean?

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    That external lining looks a lot like the american standard basses. Enjoy that hofner!

5. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    what do you mean with external lining? (sorry im dutch, my english is not that great

6. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Agreed - fine-looking bass! Also agreed on the Fishman!

7. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Looks great! Enjoy!

8. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The strip of wood that is glued on the outside where the ribs and top/back meet. I don't beleive it is functional, but it looks good. :D

9. lubao

lubao Guest

Aug 6, 2005
    NSW, Australia
    I can view some of the pics from the other posts, but not these!!! :crying: what is up with that???

10. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    Your English is better than my Dutch. Besides, I think the way you said "cheap ass behringer practice amp" demonstrates a certain command of English colloquialisms.

11. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    is that a proof that it's handbuild? also the inlay etc.?

the guy said it was handbuild in 1965, but in another thread someone said it is a factorybass

12. Perhaps it was hand built in a factory. ;) I have a guitar that was hand built in a rather large factory. The label says hand built, but the Harmony factory produced thousands of guitars yearly. Just because the instrument was built in a factory does not necessarily mean it was made by machines. It usually means more than one person worked on it, that it was an assembly line process, or that the output of the manufacturer is high. I would think most factory intstruments are still mostly hand made.

13. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    No. That is a 'factory bass' as opposed to a bass built by a single Luthier.

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

It is indeed functional. The ribs are very, every thin. Whether internal or external, the linings increase the surface area for gluing the top and back to the ribs.

15. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    i like it, it gives more 'line' to the bass, so it's not a big bag of wood

16. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Nice bass! I have owned 2 VERY similar basses, although neither had the Hofner imprint on the back. They both had a simple 'Made in Germany' label inside. Mine were built like tanks. In Toronto Canada the school board had the good sense to buy these basses for schools during the 1960s, so there are still many examples around these parts....