Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by tww001, Nov 11, 2005.

1. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    Just yesterday I picked up the bass I've had my eye on for the past few months. It's a 7/8 fully carved Romanian-made flat-back "Panormo" model that I bought it at Shank's Strings, in Elizabethtown, PA. I'll post some pics once I can get 'em taken (gotta borrow the girlfriend's digital camera). Man, this bass is leaps and bounds above the Chinese plywood I was playing on. It's got punch, volume, and a killer tone. It plays just as well and sounds just as good as most basses which cost twice as much, too. I couldn't be happier with this bass. Mike Shank said that he's seen this model develope killer tone in the first few months of playing it, and over the course of the next couple of years should really open up into a mean bass.

2. I bought one of the first of Mike's Romanian flatbacks 5 or 6 years back. If yours is anything like mine you will be very pleased. It opened up considerably over the first 6 months, and has continued to improve. I couldn't be more pleased with mine.

3. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    That's great to know. He told me that most everyone who's bought one has said similar things about the bass opening up. I can't wait to see (hear!) what's going to happen in the next few months, it already sounds great as is. Take care.

4. Congrats! You sound happier than a pig in **** Now let's see those pics...

You still in school?

5. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    Here are the photos of my new bass

Attached Files:

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Nice.. I really dig the shape, but something about the grain and finish bother me a little, not sure why. Good score.

7. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    yeah, the finish is a little weird. But it's a big improvement over how they used to finish this model. They used to have a real heavy varnish so that you couldn't see the grain at all (my friend has one). Mike Shank told me that this new oil finish will help the bass open up over time more so than the old finish, but my friend's bass is a few years old, and it sounds great.

8. I like the look. Maybe there's something in the lighting of the photo that causes it to look darker on one side, but the look of the grain is appealing to me.

9. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Very hip, I've always wanted a big violin. I bet when it opens it'll be a cannon.
    Congrats
    PS - The finish looks fine to me, rich...