Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass_Machine, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    So I got a new bass. I know how you guys love suspense, so I'll leave it for a while before telling you. (Gives me a chance to go take some photos.) :hyper:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I hate you.

On with the pictures.

3. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Ok, I took some quick pictures for you. There nothing pro (I'm no photographer) I'll get some better ones when I have some free time, as I'm going out to lunch today.

I bought a second hand Yamaha TRB 6 II for £400 this weekend (a solid deal, methinks :smug: )
    Specs include (thanks to therealting)
    - 34" scale
    - slap cut on treble horn
    - wide 19mm string spacing (great for me, as I felt the spacing was a little too tight on other 6ers I tried.)
    - solid brass bridge
    - bolt-on neck with dual truss rods
    - matching headstock, offset tuners with straight string pull
    - carved swamp ash body
    - 3-piece maple neck with rosewood board
    - dual J soapbars, 3 band EQ with mid preset selector
    - angled recessed jack socket

Right, as for some pictures (sorry if they're too big):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chillin' with the rest of "the crew":

[​IMG]

My new desktop background:

[​IMG]

4. Beautiful bass! Which one is your main bass now? What made you jump from 4 string basses to a 6 string?

What kind of pickups are those on your other Yamaha?

PS. Nice bedroom slippers.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very nice. You get an A for the day.

6. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Yay!:hyper:

Thanks man!
    I don't really have a "main" bass, I play them all about the same. (Don't want any getting jealous :p)
    I made the jump mostly becuase I felt that I wanted to explore the possibilities of having the extra two strings. I toyed with the idea of a 5 strung eadgc or beadg, but I couldn't decide on whether I'd rather the high range or the low range. I'm certain I made the right choice going to a 6er, for some reason this bass just feels "right" for me.
    On my yamaha bb604, they're the stock pickups, with a very poorly constructed playing ramp in between. I'm gonna replace that soon, and maybe build a ramp for my 6er too.

P.S- Thanks, they're lovely and warm, and help protect me from a foot-chewing puppy!:)

7. Hey dude, nice bass. :) As you say though, it's a Mk II TRB so it doesn't have the countour on the treble horn, and it probably has the more recent spec with the 35" scale. For some reason, from your PM I thought you got a Mk I. Good score though!