1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass.Frk101, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Bass.Frk101

Bass.Frk101

Mar 8, 2009
    Just Got this Bass From Builder John Wentzien. This Bass has a jazz Bass Swamp Ash Body with a hand rubbed finish. It has a gotoh bridge plate with graph tech tusk saddles. John placed copper shielding behind the American fender pick/ups and control plate to reduce hum. The neck has a ebony fretboard with gotoh precision tuners and an old school string tree with a bone nut. we put oversize strap buttons (which i really like). This bass has an incredibly good tone. the neck has abalone inlay dots. this bass has a fretboard that plays very well. john wentzien can be found on talk bass.com. he did a great job of putting this bass together finishing the wood and setting it up for play. anyone interested in one of these contact john wentzien on talkbass.com. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=123562&stc=1&d=1238126160
    BassWoodshedPics001.jpg http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=123563&stc=1&d=1238126160
    BassWoodshedPics003.jpg

Attached Files:

2. That's a real nice piece of ash. I think ash and ebony looks really nice together.

3. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    Nice lookin bass! I bet it sounds good too. Let us know what your thoughts are on the Tusq saddles. I have then on my 6 string (guitar) and like them.

4. Bass.Frk101

Bass.Frk101

Mar 8, 2009
    I have a Graph tech Tusk Nut along With the Tusk Saddles. this really helps sustain on my instrument. I've used them on other basses.

5. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Thanks Dave!
    I had a hard time letting that one go..Glad you like it.

6. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I'm always cruising for a piece of ash.

7. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    The tuners on this bass are vintage style "reverse" Gotohs.
    The pickups are vintage-style Fender alnico..I put the "no-hole" pickup covers on them.

8. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    This is my first build that I did for my "bass-hero" Ted Brooks about 15 years ago.
    He just brought it in for the first truss-rod adjustment it has needed since he got it! (1/8th of a turn)

Notice the natural "relicing":D View attachment 124132