My new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Woohoo! So I got a new MTD Kingston 5. paid for all by myself. Not only is it my biggest purchase ever, it's the best fun I've ever had playing a bass. This thing is leaps and bounds ahead of my squier. Everything sounds so much better, even through my little practice amp! It's black with a white pearloid pickguard. Simply beautiful, and it's got the second-best tone I've ever heard in my life. It's truly a wonderful bass. Here's a pic of me and my new baby:D

EDIT: I did forget to add one thing. The B string is almost perfect, but when I fret either a C or a C#, the string rattles-when I fret a C it rattles on the C# fret and when I fret the C# it sounds like it ratttles somewhere down about E or Eb. Any idea on how I could fix this? I have no rattles elsewhere...
  2. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Congrats!! Its always fun to get a new bass. I know you will enjoy it.
  3. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    What is the best tone you've heard in your life
  4. slumberland

Sep 17, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Hi veloci:

I have the same as yours but lefthanded. I think is a great bass for the price but is far from been a great bass. I do have a squiere the PJ and it sound fine to me. Well after few adjustments and a good set of strings. I use DR and really make a difference in sound.The thing is that those instruments are built in mass production and they don't put the effort behind them. Bad electronics. But with few bucks you can buy a new set of pick ups and will improve dramatically.

Don't put it aside, remember that every instrument has his own sound. Practice with both and gain skills with the MTD five. the only thing is that MTD that particular model dosen't have the warm sound that other basses with more attention can deliver.

I don't want to discourage with this, remember that I do have one too. But keep exploring until you get your own arsenal that really satisfy your ears.

The best bass is the one that deliver and sound the way you want. Always keep your ears open but don't drive your self carazy with all the hype.

PS. sorry but english is not my first language

music should be always fun, if not, do something else
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    congrats, you have a keeper. play it to death!
  6. What a great instrument.
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    those Kingstons are great basses and for the money they can't be beat. As far ast the fret buzz you are encountering. a proper setup should fix that pretty fast..

and yes, what is the best sounding bass you've ever heard
  8. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Some kind of was at the Bailey Brothers music shop in Birmingham. Dont remember the model but it was see-through blood red. A bass guy in my bass class has one too; it's see through brown though. It was simply fantastic and it had 3 knobs for tone-it could create anything from warm jazz sound to dark metal. The guy playing it was fantastic himself; but that bass was the best Ive ever seen. Everything was completely perfect on it. Oh yeah, it had two soapbars too
  9. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Curvey horns?

Probably a Ibanez BTB 5. My bass, god i love em :D
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Congrats. I loved my USA MTD and I'm sure you will love your Kingston. Play the heck out of it

11. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Curvy. Very, very curvy.
  12. CONGRATS!!!

A great choice!! Enjoy it to death, and let it make you want to practice practice practice....:D
  13. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    very nice bass..... Congrats on the new toy!

14. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    You'll truly enjoy the Kingston; it's arguably the best bass at any price.