Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heavyJams, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Well, I opened my new (used) bass a little early. I'm going to try to include pics, but I've never done this before and I couldn't find the tips when I searched, so be easy on me if it doesn't work yet. This is a Carvin blah blah blah fretless. I don't remember the model number, and as I'm sure someone here can tell me in 5 seconds, I'm not going to look it up right now.

2. Here's the bass in the case

3. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    I've been interested in the carvin acoustics...

Are they any good? How is the volume?

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow! I'm trying to decide between that and the Warwick Alien. How does she sound?

5. The front

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Looks cool, congrats!!!!!!!..... try to write a review if you can (want) :D

7. ibid

8. Here's a closeup of the front

9. down the neck

10. more of the neck

11. Here's a bad pic of the headstock

12. Back of the headstock

13. You can really see the satin finish on the neck here. This really is a beautiful bass.

14. Here's the battery (pronounced "bat-chree" here in TN) case and what not

15. OK, many apologies for posting so many pics. Everyone gets mad when you post no pics, so I wanted to post them. But being that this is my first time posting pics, I probably did it wrong and went overbaord. Still, the bass is great. As far as acoustic value, there's not a whole lot. There's more than just a regular electric bass. And it's audible, but nothing like a real, deep acoustic bass. The semi-holow basically adds to the resonance. I bought this bass from a guy I know at college. He custom-ordered it a few years ago when he graduated high school. He plays a lot of cello now, though, so the muscle memory for that was messing with his fretless skills. The satin neck plays like a dream. It will take me quite a while to get used to it. I wanted a fretless because, when I play fretted, I just sit around and slap, wanking till my heart's content. I'd say that the result is I am now a fairly above-average slapper for an amateur bassist who's never had lessons, but I always slip through the hole in the pocket when I have to come back down to musical earth. This bass, I hope, will help me curb that. I love the fretless sound, and when I borrowed this bass to try it out, I really was working the groove a lot more since slapping was out of the picture. The bass is active, and man is the signal HOT when I send it into my head. Now I just need to chill out and practice. I paid $400 for it, and I was wondering if everyone thinks that is a decent deal. The guy is a really nice guy, so I figured he wouldn't rip me off, and all of my friends who have been playing bass for a long time said it was a good deal. I was wondering what you guys think. I'll write more about the bass when I've had more playing time with it. Peace!

16. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    $400 for a used AC40 fretless is a fair deal.

nice. i like em.

f

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW. That's a really nice bass. Congrats & enjoy!!!

18. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Nice bass!! Norm Stockton loves his Carvin ac bass. And ya know he could probly play whatever he wanted.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice. One of the churches in my local fellowship has a 5 string like that, except it has those stupid metal bars on the fingerboard. Nice bass.

20. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    That is quite a pretty bass. Always wondered how they sound/play. How's it compare to an electric upright sound when plugged in?

Murfreesboro, eh? Do you go to MTSU? I have a buddy that goes there.