My new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, Jan 23, 2003.

1. I picked it up a couple days ago and i must say i am very impressed.

-4 string
    -34" scale
    -imbuya body
    -5 piece mahogany neck through with maple stringers
    -passive humbucking pickups
    -indonesian rosewood fret board
    -scalloped bottom horn

Pics comming as soon as i can figure out how to compress the jpg files.
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    they look great! how do you like it's sound and playability? i was considering one as a moderately priced back-up... i always liked the sound of ciruus basses but they were a little too boxy feeling. this one looks more ergonomically correct... congrats!
  3. it plays very smooth and fast, i like the tone the wood produces, kind of a dark but pleasent tone. the neck is very smooth and very comfortable to play and there is no neck dive. all around it is a good bass for the money.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

What did she cost? I read a review on this bass in Bass Player a few months ago or so. I remember them saying that MSRP was under $500. I re-read the article last night. Only complaints were:

Plastic Nut
    Loose Knobs (no keeper screws)
    Mediocre setup (easily fixed with a turn of the truss and some bridge adjusting)

Other than those minor moans they really liked it and said it had the look, feel and sound of a much higher priced bass. I'm just curious as to what the street price is on these. It does look tempting, especially for under $500!! So tell us what you paid please...
  6. Retail is $450, I picked this up for $400 with a gig bag. I had the same problem with the setup but that was easily fixed and the plastic nut isn't causing me any woes yet. Other than some very minor finish flaws it is perfect All around i love this thing and is deffinetly(sp) worth the money
  7. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I like the bass but I don't care for the pillows.
  8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Congratulations. That's a very nice bass.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very nice bass. I've been liking the peavey stuff that has been out latley. I haven't played that model yet but it's sure to be really nice!!!!
  10. t'rants

Jan 18, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I purchased a Grind NTB 5 at the end of last year, my first new bass in 15 years. (I haven't been an active player...) After all my looking around, this thing appeared, and spoke to me. It's really a nice bass for the money, just a few minor assembly flaws. Now I'm thinking about putting in a preamp, maybe a Bartolini. Anyone have any thoughts?
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Those are very good basses. After I played one, I was shocked to find out that they were passive.
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Looks nice man! Hard to get anythign with a body that good under $500. Peavey has really kicke dup there quality level a notch in recent years. I am really liking their newer amps and basses...I will always be a spector man myself though ;).
  13. I was thinking the same thing:D
    There is a ton of room in there for a preamp.

now all i need is more money...:(
  14. Man that is teh p1mp!

Looks absolutly AWESOME!
  15. fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    While we're talking Peavey, anyone use a Peavey Fury 5?
  16. sweems

Feb 13, 2003
    Benton, AR
    I just picked up a grind 5 yesterday and I don't have a place in it for the batts. they say it uses. I love the tone of it but the strings rattle. Does yours do this? and Is is just the strings or the nature of the bass.

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Congrats! New toys are always good!
  18. Very nice bass Nick ;) Peavey seem to be bringing out some good stuff recently, and thats a great price for that bass