Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Benavente progress pics.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zonwon, Nov 17, 2003.

1. zonwon

zonwon

Jan 21, 2003
    Michigan
    I have had this on order for some time. These are the first pics I have seen. It is the 219B model 4 string. I have another 219B 4 which I fell in love with but it has jazz pups. I wanted one with dual coils. So I custom ordered this one. Most seem to be going for the single cut design but I absolutely love this design. The body goes out to the 15th fret on 219B's which makes the neck extremely stable. Once I set the truss to my liking when I got my first one I have never had to touch it again and I live in Michigan. This will be the final product:

Alder body w/ full spalt top.
    5 pc. neck w/ ebony board.
    Celtic inlay by Larry Robinson.
    Twin Dual coil pups with Benavente Preamp.
    Matching wood knobs and pickup covers.
    Laquer finish
    Black hardware.

Think it would look good with a light honey stain or leave it natural?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Natural!

3. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Another vote for natural - I think that top looks a little too dark as is for stain. I've got dual coil (Aeros) and a U-Retro in my 219B and it absolutely THUNDERS. Congrats! :cool:

4. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    I would also go natural. And once you get this new one, you can give the old one to me. I don't mind the J/J set up at all. I'll pick it up the next time I swing by White's. Or you can just ship it to me if you still have my address.

5. Natural! And I LOVE that inlay!
    :p

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Wicked! That is awesome! I would definitely leave it natural too. That is going to be a killer basses. Of course all Benavente's are killer!:)

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    That's a smokin' bass. LOVE the top! :D

8. Purdy bass.:)

9. zonwon

zonwon

Jan 21, 2003
    Michigan
    Keep in mind it will also have a laquer finish. I agree. I may have to go natural. It may be a bit dark to stain. I was considering something light such as honey or amber to add some color. For example the F Bass that Adrian has with the burst on it is a spalt top and it looks stunning. This top may just have to much figure to it to pull that off.

Here is a pic of the stain idea...

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Very sweet. I'd leave it natural, though. The stain doesn't work for me as well.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'd still keep it natural-the top is just so earthy and goes well with the Celtic knot. Also, if you did use the stain, it probably wouldn't come out as light as the picture you photoshopped. Stains are mostly transparent, so it wouldn't lighten any of the areas-it would just add color to them.

12. zonwon

zonwon

Jan 21, 2003
    Michigan
    I had to make a decision and I went with the natural finish with laquer. Thanks for the input.

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    good choice!!

steve

14. zonwon

zonwon

Jan 21, 2003
    Michigan
    I stuck with the top being natural.[​IMG]

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I'm glad you stayed natural. I think the color's in that spalt are beautiful!!

Ok, sorry, I have to post my new baby I got this week. She smokes!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Beautiful, zonwon! I love that top..

and Hey Brian!

is that top ziricote??? Looks prety damn good..
    and It looks amazing how the grain matches the top and the rest of the body in the lower curve of the butt.

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Its a Macc Ebony top with Black Limba (extra thick) body. Ziricote Stabilized board bound with Ziricote.

18. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    all that nice macc-eb wasted on a sub-multistring.

:rolleyes: KIDDING.

man, both of these thread basses are gorgeeeyus!

i've already fouled my screen looking at them.

:bassist:

f

19. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    you mean like this one?

:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Now that's a WIDE neck! Is the string spacing on the 9 a full 19mm at the bridge or something?