Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Benavente...thoughts and comments...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Feb 10, 2006.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey all,
    I took delivery of my new Benavente bolt-on single cut "D" shape 4 string at NAMM this year. Chris was kind enough to bring it down personally from Oregon with his other NAMM basses.
    It has an alder body, 33" scale, spalted maple top, birdseye board, abalone block inlays, Hipshot hardware, and came with his new leather bag. My initial impressions:

The bass is very, very well made. It oozes quality, and the quality of the woodwork is excellent! The bass weighs in around 8.8 poinds, and hangs wonderfully from a strap with no neck dive. It was set up well, and the fretwork is flawless. The neck shape is very comfy for me (J bass like), and with the upper horn sitting around the 11th fret makes 1st position access unbelievably comfortable! Playablity is lightning fast, and I can't believe that it's a 33"....super taught feel in the strings, but quick, quick, quick with the left hand due to the scale...I'm sold!
    The sound? I like the sound of the pickups, but I wasn't crazy about the preamp, so I swapped it out with an Aguilar OBP-3, and YOWZA!!!!! THAT made THE difference! Now, it sounds as good as any bass I've ever owned!! Really punches through the mix, incredibly burpy back pickup sound, and it's the only bass I've played where I feel like blending the neck pickup in with the bridge doesn't "tub out" the sound (I'm strictly a back pickup guy, but this sounds great with the two blended, favoring the bridge). I might consider dropping in some Nordstrand Fat Stacks after hearing a bass that Carey just finished....OMG!! :eek: :eek: :eek: His Fatstacks are just obscene!! I really like the pickups in there now, but if I can get close to what I heard at carey's shop....look out!
    Brian and Chris were an absolute pleasure to deal with, and they were helpful at every step....they're tops in my book!

Here's a pic...you guys dig?

2. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Nice bass man! I heard the Benavente dual coils a few weeks ago in a 4-string, and I thought they were killing for punchy fingerstyle.

Speaking of fine 4's, a friend of mine in Pburg just picked this up from NAMM, looks smoking!

[​IMG]

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What make/model/builder is that???

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    John Maghini/M-Basses

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Incredible looking bass!!!!

:hyper:

6. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    M Bass, R Bass, F Bass, A Bass, CB Bass...

Custom bass makers must have a thing for these the 1-2 letter combo for thier names. Maybe it's because some of the bass makers have tough names to say. Especially for those that have never actually heard how their supposed to be said prounounced. :ninja:

That 4's a beauty of a bass BTW.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    33" scale ftw!

I love medium and shortscale basses!

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Hey jacochops...do you have a picture? I can't see one.

What was the original pre, that you replaced with the Ag?

Thanks,
    Marshall

9. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  10. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    :confused: Can someone clue me in? I see a picture Wilbyman posted, just not Jacochops...:confused:

M

11. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yeah, I don't see nuffin.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have a Bass coming from John Maghini(M-Basses)that will be very interesting.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Seeing as how Matt didn't post a pic, this thread is now about M basses :D

14. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Sorry guys...I was going through my attachments and it somehow deleted the pic from the post...please let me know if you all can see it now...

and SMPerry..I replaced the Benavente pre that came with the bass.

.........aaaaannnd....back on topic! :D

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's there now. Looks really nice-Chris is always re-proving at block inlays can look just as or even more classy than a blank fingerboard. He could probably take a bit off of the top of a four-string headstock though...lots of extra real estate up there :)

Cool about the four-string 33" singlecut...I'll be getting one in a few months (I actually sold my Elrick fretless that once belonged to you to fund it).

16. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Ah, now I see it.

I dig it!!!

Marshall

17. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Very nice Jaco, agg I miss my Benny... here tax return.. come here, its ok.. I wont spend you.. I promise agg GAS

18. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Nice bass! I really like Chris' single cut styles.

Shawn

19. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  20. Great looking bass! The top wood is stunning. Welcome to the club!