Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Benevante!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basso Profoundo, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Aero pickups and an East U-retro preamp.

[​IMG]

2. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    What kind of wood is that on the body (or veneer)?

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    When the Beneventes rain, they pour.

Very sweet. That's only the second singlecut 4 I've seen that I liked. The other was a blak Warrior played by Chuck Rainey.

I like yours more. :D

4. I believe that is a spalted maple top and mahogany body. The neck is maple and padouk. I really like the look of it, by the way.

-Chris

5. Basso Profoundo

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Thanks Chris, yea, it's spalted maple with a mahogany body. Spalted maple, by what I understand is maple that is beginning to rot, that's where all the wild stripes and colors come from.

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Nice!!
    I'd like to hear your observations on the singlecut shape for a narrow-necked (as compared to a 5/6/more...)bass.
    Anything to share?

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Holy Crap! everyones getting one of these.. and I can see why. these benevante basses are Purty!!!!

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nice single cut there!

10. Basso Profoundo

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    I can't answer any questions due to the fact that I haven't gotten it yet. Should arrive on Friday and I am stoked!

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    ah, sorry!
    I didn't realize it was a 'preemptive whoohoo.'
    You went and got me all excited... :)

12. Basso Profoundo

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Don't get any on ya. Seriously, I hate this period when your bass is in mid shipment and all you can do is think about it.

13. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I know that bass, I returned it twice for neck problems. JUST KIDDING! Ever heard of 'preemptive boohoo'? :D

BUT SERIOUSLY, I looked at pictures of that bass almost everyday for two months. I feel like I'm the one that sold it to you. I probably would have bought that bass in a month or so after I get off my "buy, try, and sell every bass made" crusade. I even talked to Chris B. about the bass. He said that some basses have more "IT" than others, and your bass is one of them. He even sent me a sound sample.

Please post a full report, I'm dying to know what I missed. And if you ever get fed up with too much "IT"...

14. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Basso Profoundo wrote, "I can't answer any questions due to the fact that I haven't gotten it yet. Should arrive on Friday and I am stoked!"

Well? It's Friday...;)

15. Basso Profoundo

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    I am absolutely stunned by the tone of this bass, it is just silly sweet and plays like a dream! The neck has full string spacing and the playability is effortless. The neck profile is in between a Fender B and C. The playability is lightning fast and I have never experienced punch like this in a neckthrough.

The U retro preamp is about as versatile as they get, I got a great tone with out any tweaking. Panning to the neck pickup creates the best p-bass tone I have ever heard in a non P-bass. And of course the neck pickup gives you that great Jaco tone. I really like the sound of the neck pickup soloed with the bass boosted almost all the way, wow! The fretwork and craftsmenship is top-notch with all the fret kerfs filled and no buzz whatsoever. The body is incredible, you would have to see it in person to appreciate it. The weight is also perfect. It didn't come with the pieces I need for the inset straplocks, so I can't comment about the balance. Can you tell I am very happy with this bass? Chris is definitely building some keepers here folks, save your pennies and go get one, I mean it. They are going to really catch on and may be out of reach for alot of us in the future. Highly recommended!!!! Five stars!!!
    Hey James, when Chris said this particular bass had "IT", he meant it.
    Thanks Brian!!!

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Glad to help! I'll get the locks out asap.

Keep in touch,
    brian