Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new big block p-bass is here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by origami, Feb 28, 2006.

1. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    :hyper:

After waiting since December, and almost giving up; my new fender big block precision bass showed up today.

i have not played it enough to pan or praise, and i will give the full scoop with pics once i have played it with a band in rehearsal and concert both rock and church style.

Here is my early report: I already have a fender 1977 p-bass, Geddy and Steve Harris signature and this bass is a totally different beast and sound radical dissimilar to the usually fender bass.

The big-block has a G&L L-1500 vibe more than MM stingray but closer to those guys than a classic p or j bass. The output is very very loud across a lot of frequencies. sort of like a spector with all the knobs turned up, but not as tight. the big-block actually slaps pretty well and is a modern voiced bass more than vintage.

Workmanship: Made in Mexico (my Japan bases are usually better), the big-block neck is very smooth/fast and impressive, i was surprised by the neck, not chunky U shaped, but not skinny either. sort of like a thicker jazz neck. it was a joy to play a flatter radius than the 7.5" my other basses have. the blocks look super cool! i got lots of compliments at GC. i love matching headstocks too. the bass attracts fingerprints like a magnet.

Actually decent set-up (I’ve had nightmare fender-set ups), there are some definite painting issues, quite sloppy in places, but not enough to return it. i replaced the factory strings with rotosound 66s which always helps.

This bass does not have the turn on and playability of some other basses and i will definitely have to mess with the EQ to get it sounding best in certain situations. over-all...not bad. i finally played the jaguar basss the other day, and have major gas for that (mostly because of the looks), but the big-block does sound a little better than the jag.

We will see.
    mm

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Congrats man! I really dig the looks of those, but haven't been able to find one in person yet. Make sure and post some pics too, I'd really like to see a non press release shot!

3. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    here are 2 pics. i will take action shots later.

4. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    hey

keep us informed please about that big block, i'm really interested. i haven't seen one around here (belgium).

greetz

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I hope it came with a micro-fiber cloth and cleaner. You'll be cleaning up a lot of fingerprints on that guy. :p

I'd like to hear some soundclips, if possible.

You said that it sound more like a G+L, but can you describe the sound in terms of, say, a P or J bass?

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Black basses look better with fingerprints! :ninja:

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Congrads.
    I've played one, an dig the sound and feel of this bass.
    Well worth the money.

8. Are these active? Looks very cool.

9. Finally! Someone bought one and is willing to share their experience with this bass!

I've yet to find one to play, so I'm glad this is here.

10. Sound clips please!

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow, I want one!!! Wonder if it will be offered as a 5'ver?

... maybe Nordy p/ups might fit in one.

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'm especially interested in the comment that it has a G&L L-1500 vibe, because I've been thinking about one of those, and it just occurred to me the other day that the Big Block might be a viable alternative. So, if you base that comment on experience with the G&L, I'd love to hear how you think they compare. Your comment about the Big Block's wide frequency range certainly applies to the L-1500 too.

13. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    alrighty,

i played the big block for a few days and wrestled with choice i needed to make. i returned it.

i have been gassing to finally take the plunge and get a 5 string, and returning the big block was the easiest way to financially do it. i found a killer deal on a stingray 5 and pulled the trigger.

that said, here is my limited review (considering that i had the bass under a week and only played one rehearsal with it).

as stated. the bass felt great out of the box. the set up was originally high, but i took out the tools and it got to playing better.

the 9.5 neck was really nice to play. a nice change from all my 7.5 radius necks. it was a nice playing bass. one or two of the 'blocks' looked like they had some imperfections. and it loves fingerprints way too much. it is a beauty and everyone who saw it liked the looks and feel.

i expected the big block to be music man sounding, but it was not. G&L 1500 would be closer, but i've played both and the G&L is better and the L-2000 is even better. musicman's are a little more 'modern' sounding, and the big block was full tilt maxed out sounding with the 18vt pre-amp, very hot! almost too much sort of like the humbucker was in series. not as bad as an gibson EBO, but like that. the bass was difficult to EQ and the low end was woofy and the high end was brash. it was workable with trail and error, but not as friendly as some basses.

the bass had some noise issues due to grouding and shielding. it buzzed loudly when you took your hands off.

i was able to coax a solid plunky tone, but i just was not in love with the bass. maybe it'll be up someone elses alley.

that's what i know...

14. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Looks like you never really bonded with the bass. (Or as I like to say, it never really "spoke" to you.)

I've been there and that kinda sucks -- but kudos for being smart enough to recognize it early and congrats on getting your Fiver.

15. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    you could say it spoke too loudly...

i still gas for the fender jag-bass even though it doesn't really sound that great, but she is too pretty and unique to pass up.
    i need to buy a fretless or upright before i go that direction.

one gas at a time.

i'd reconsider if the big block came in another color, and i changed the pick-up, but a lot of work to do on a bass that should sound good already.

16. chakah

chakah Rockin' the 80's

Feb 2, 2006
    Houston,
    cool - played one in a local store today during lunch. was pretty impressed with it. also played an ibanez BTB300 that i fell in love with. now my question is what to buy when the income tax refund comes in.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    SR5 > fender big block

The fender big block doesnt even come close to an SR5 tone, completely different type of pickup.