Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new big project!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    ok some might call me an idiot but...

i've got a cheap 5string vintage musicman copy. i didnt play it and i wanted a five string fretless so i'v decided to turn it into a fretless! but while i was at it i thought oh lets re-jig the whole thing. so the plan is to give it a cool paint job, buy new tuning heads, change the pickup, wood stain the neck and of course make it fretless.

where i am now is i've took the neck off, took the frets and tuning heads off and sanded it totally smooth (not too much though!)

i know i need to wood filler it but after that i'm pretty stuck :S i dont know what to do to repaint the body either, i'm also searchin the net for insperation on a design.

If anyone can help me with any of this i'd be grateful :) :cool:

2. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    wow thanx for all the help...

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well your question is slightly vague...do you not how to actually do the repaint, or are not sure on a "design?" Are you going to do a solid color or something more fancy? I think you probably didn't get any responses because your original question makes it seem like you in fact need ideas for a paint design...but thats kind of hard for people to answer.

4. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    the actual painting, do i need to sand down all the paint or just scrape it a bit? what kinda paints best? i wanna do a simple design with blocks of colour, just maskin of straight lines to paint over to make shapes

5. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i de-fretted my p-bass copy and it went well,i filled in the slots left from the fretts w/ liquid wood putty,it came in a tube like dispenser and worked very well(only costed 3.00$) then i sanded it down w/ 200 grit s/paper,gave it a coat of poly,sanded it down again,gave it one more coat,then VIOLA ,A FRETT-LESS BASS
    ps,after the putty dried i took and old playing card and a fine tip marker and gave it some frett-lines on the neck,it really made the project that much better looking

6. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    cool, wot kinda poly did u use?