Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new bongo, pics and review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    For a short and sweet review, here we go. Initial thoughts right out of the box, unplugged is WOW, this bass is very alive, comfortable, and it sounds wonderful even unplugged. I have tried slinkys in the past, and didn't care for them, but somehow these seem very nice! The neck feel is wonderful, It's probably a real close cross between a sterling, and stingray neck, not bulky, very comfortable. I very much like the feel of the finished neck, very satin like. I do although wonder, if over time glossing will occur, and make it sticky in the favored spots....time will tell. I now understand why the construction is basswood, even at that, this bass is just a hair on the heavy side, it's not overbearing, but is more than I expected.

The 4 band 18V EQ is awesome. I normally don't like a lot of mids usually, because it seems to bring out a lot of honk, but with this setup, you can dial your mid sound in to your liking, great idea! The pickups sound great, and the neck humbucker is a very welcome addition. Slide it back to the bridge only, and it does a pretty great stingray impersonation, when you start dialing the neck pickup in with it, things get very interesting. One of musicman's biggest improvements, other than the before stated preamp, is the redesigned pickup covers, with a nice contour to the thumb edge, no more divots in the center of my thumb!

It sounds like a musicman, big, fat, and mean. MM tone isn't for everyone, but I love it....this bass is a true stingray killer.

A lot of people are turned off by it's radical looks, I too was shocked when I first saw the NAMM snapshots, but over time it grew on me. Yes it still looks different, but that is part of the appeal to me now. For those who like the musicman tone, but cannot get over the looks are missing out, but as Jack put it, that's just more for us.

For the record, I got this bass to fit in my old SKB/Musicman stingray 5 case with very little effort, I just had to slightly crush the foam (?) when the upper horn fits, and it is now a nice snug fit, without cutting, or alteration.

If you're thinking about getting one, go ahead and do it, you won't be disappointed. I was expecting the moon when I ordered mine, and was still blown away. Well, back to me bongo.

10/10

[​IMG]

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    [​IMG]

3. A+ review.

:D

I want to hear some clips! :D

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    [​IMG]

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    [​IMG]

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    [​IMG]

7. So, with this review it would seem that the bongo is an incredible bass. But is it so incredible you would sell me your MTD at a deeply discounted price?;)

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    While this without a doubt is my new main player, I gotta keep a 5 string in the stable :D

9. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    oh god, i have to go clean up the mess i just made!

that is one helluva nice bass man. congrats. i love the tone those badboys put out.. maybe one of the best sounding basses i have ever had the pleasure of playing.

good pick, enjoy.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im new to Bongos (just found out about them a few months ago) where do you buy them and for how much?

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Updated family photo.

Figjam, they are priced right with the Stingray 4's and 5', you are not far behind, these have pretty much just hit the market. Contact Gard at bass central for the best deal!

[​IMG]

12. Nice bass! I also used to be one of the people who found them to be ugly at first...but they have grown on me alot. I dont find them ugly at all anymore.

Id love to see one in Lava Pearl with a Black Pickguard...
    I would bet that would look damn nice on one of those Bongo's. :)

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do they come with maple fingerboards?

14. Tim,

I've seen them offered with a single coil in the neck position. Is there any appeal with that setup? Did you happen to try any other than the dual humbucker?

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I think as of right now anyway, they are only made with rosewood boards. I myself prefer maple, but this thing is super bright with the rosewood.

I saw they do offer it in a few pickup configurations, double buckers, single bucker, and a bucker/single combo. I've never tried any of the rest of them, but I love the sound of humbuckers, so it was a no brainer.

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Yep, just rosewood. And the 2H configuration was a no-brainer for me, too. Wow. What a big, snarly, funky tone it is!

My Bongo fiver has absolutely become my favorite bass. The recently returned Lakland went with me tonight, too, and I played it for the first set and it is a GREAT bass, but...I strapped the Bongo on and it was all over, the fat lady sang immediately.

Some 14 year old kid in a beanie hat asked "What kind of bass is THAT?" He later confided he had an Ibanez at home but thought the Bongo looked "phat". Hah, an old fart like me with a phat bass that teenagers like, go figure.

Tim, is the neck profile on the four more like a 'Ray or a Sterling? My four banger should be here Friday. Can't wait to try it out, too!

Congrats, Bongo Man.

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Man, it's a tough call....I'd say it is 60% sterling neck, and 40% ray neck.

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'm used to people not knowing what bass I have, first time out with the MTD, someome asked me "Is that a Carvin?"

No, it is not a Carvin.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It isnt? :p

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I saw one today at one of the local GCs. It was an orange 4 banger with the dual humbuckers.

It actually looks much better in person (I was too busy noodling on a Pedulla to actually go and get some fool to get it down from it's 30' perch.