My new Brubaker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Sep 25, 2002.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    (Sorry for the earlier photo problems, hopefully it works ok this time)

With some encouragement from Brad Johnson and all the reviews I've read here, I picked up a great new Brubaker NBS-Xtreme bass that arrived yesterday.

I was stunned at how nice the bass was when I opened the case. It it's got a purple quilted maple top over an ash body. The purple isn't obnoxious and looks pretty classy.
    What's even better is that it's got a matching fingerboard. I don't know how it's done, but the fingerboard has a subtle purple quilt to is as well.

The electronics are pretty amazing as well. It's got a pair of Bartolini Quad-Coil pickups with a very versitile pre-amp. Active/Passive switch, 3 Band EQ with what appears to be a parametric midrange with pull-up boost, Series/Parallel switch, etc. I could spend a week tweaking it and still not find all the sounds this is capable of. I was able to get a pretty good thuddy P-bass tone and also a sizzling Stingray tone and everything in between.

I'll have to give a real "review" after I've spent a little more time with it, but for now, I had to post the photos and show it off a bit!

Thanks for letting me get it out of my system!:D

2. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    Thanks Funky. The only drawback that I could find is that it's a bit heavy (10.5 lbs) but the look and sound more than make up for that. Oh yeah, and it doesn't have a graphite neck, so I'll have to get used to wood again.

Also, when Kevin told me what the bass listed for and what it *should* have sold for, as opposed to what I got it for, it made the deal SO much sweeter!!

Do you still have any of your Brubakers?
  3. I'm wiping a tear from my eye -- so beautiful! Grats and enjoy!
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    now that is a fine looking machine!
    His headstock design is certainly...different.
    Very nice bass! I'd love to hear one of those.
  5. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Ouch, my aching back. :D Actually 10.5 ain't too terrible. I had a MM5 that was 11.5 plus!

Very nice looking bass!!!

I was offered a trade for my ES335 (I was selling), for a Brubaker 5-string with split maple/ebony board. I would have had to add several hundred cash to do the deal and passed. Dumb, dumb, dumb..... They say hindsight is 20/20. :(
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    That matching neck make the whole thing look incredible! That's more attractive than a piece of wood should be...
  7. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats, Scott. Welcome to the babbling Brubaker owners club;)

Hey Rod, you're going to have to stop kicking yourself someday:D. I think what I almost did was worse.

I almost sold mine (a 5 string) immedately after picking it up used. Had it in a store for a week and decided to bring it home and at least take it on a gig first. Can't explain why it didn't grab me immediately.

I was stunned at how sweet this bass was live. Effortless to play, punched through the mix like crazy, smooth yet bright sound, amazing lows, versatile as heck... and to think I almost let what turned out to be my idea of the perfect bass go.

9. Yeah, I've got the trans black 22 fret five string that they made for me. It's not Xtreme in any way--so when I see ones like yours it makes me just a bit crazier.
  10. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    It's different, I like it! (;) to Turock)

That thing is beyond sexy!
  11. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    That is one purdy canoe paddle you got there. :D

Never tried a Brubaker, what's it sound like?
  12. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Yeah, Brad, I think I played your 5 at Atomic Music....I didn't have any money at the time, but I certainly liked the way it played. So much, that I talked to Kevin about a possible artist deal through them/him. It ended up not working out, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if the right deal came along!!
  13. Uh-oh. You wouldn't want to be playing the same instrument as the bassist from Britney Spears' backing band, now would you? ;)
  14. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    "Never tried a Brubaker, what's it sound like?"

I think I should let Brad answer this one, since he's had a chance to play his in more situations than me.

From what I've found though, it sounds very similar to an F Bass - very full articulate sound, with a strong punchy midrange - and that's with all the controls set flat!
  15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I dropped the action after I took it out of Atomic, it was already very easy to play, now it's almost spooky. I count myself lucky that no one bought it.

That would've been pretty cool to see a Bru in your commercial;)
  16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's a pretty good description.

As much as the description of his "Bolt-on, neck-thru" necks might seem like marketing hype, it's actually very accurate. Sounds like a great bolt-on that somehow has the articulateness usually associated with neck-thrus. The EQ is very well placed, you can dial in all manner of lows, punch or brightness. It also sound very full bodied in passive mode.

Believe it or not, I run mine predominantly with the EQ flat, along with the EQ on my amp flat. I play fingerstyle and slap.

You really have to hear and play one. They're as nice as anything I've ever played.
  17. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i played this bad a## fretless at NAMM with a purple heart stripe down the middle of the board. at the price he offered me if it would have had an extra string i would have sold a kidney for it!

i will have one similar to yours brad one day! but i want the split board! ebony/purpleheart/maple! oooohhhweeee
  18. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    10 lbs heavy?!

wussie :p

very pretty bass btw. i'm sure it sounds as nice as it looks!