Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new CB custom fretless 4 ... in progress!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michele, Dec 21, 2005.

1. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Guys,
    the title says it all.
    Last October I placed an order for a CB custom fretless 4 strings and I’m starting this thread to document the progress of this bass.
    Let me preface that I only had the opportunity to admire Cliff Bordwell’s basses on his website but the fact to have not the opportunity to try one doesn’t stop me to place an order. It seemed to me that the guy knows what to do, has good eyes and good hands, uses great woods and 1st class materials and components. The general consensus on his work here on Talkbass (yes... I consider even your opinions :D ) and Cliff’s quickness and courtesy in returning e-mails did the rest ...
    Many of you will agree with me on the fact that on instruments (the opposite with women), little imperfections always subtract from beauty. This leads to what hit me when I first looked at Cliff’s work: a great attention even to the smallest detail. I fully agree with him that at the end details make difference.
    Now to the bass. First of all (drums roll) ... custom body shape! I had the pleasure to propose a shape and, sharing drawings by e-mail, Cliff and I made changes and adjustments until we came by with a satisfactory final result. And at a very little extra!
    Basic specs:
    - 32” scale length
    - Mahogany body with Bloodwood top and Walnut back
    - 3 piece (maple outers, wenge core) neck in Jazz shape
    - Gaboon Ebony lined fretless fingerboard
    - Nordstrand NJ4SE with passive electronics

Ok, I know ... now you, hungry wolves, want to see something but for now that’s all folks! Be patient because soon Cliff will hit me with the first pics. You will experience the slow methamorphosis of some wood chunks into ART.
    So ... stay tuned!!! ;)

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You couldn't have picked a better luthier. I very much look forward to having my own CB in the future. Can't wait to see pics!

3. Women!...always teasing us men folk.... :D

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ...except that Michele is a guy! :rolleyes:

:smug:

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new CB Michele!!! :hyper: ;)

6. I think a chambered fretless like the one on Cliff's site would be quite nice!!

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds nice :hyper:

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    congrats! I LOVE CB's work.

6 string fretless singlecut (B)
    walnut body
    Holly top
    maple neck
    Pink Ivory fingerboard
    &
    6 Single Cut (a)
    Ash Body
    Holly top
    maple neck
    Birdsesy fretboard

2 of my dream basses! one day when I'm a millionaire. Yours sounds really cool, I can't wait to see! can you at least share the body design drawings? or even early versions?

9. Whats his website? I cant seem to find it.

10. Thank you. (I feel real stupid cause I tried just about every name except that :rolleyes: )

11. Congrats! Sounds real nice :)

12. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Jay, if you wouldn't be the honest seller that you are I probably won't ever run into CB. You know I appreciate it ... ;)

13. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Come on ... save a little, man ...you don't need to be a millionaire. The guy has fair prices.
    And ... be patient and soon we'll share the real thing! ;)

14. Many apologies for the incorrect reference (however, the sentiment is still true :p )

15. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Cliff put a little gift under my Christmas Tree ... body woods pic!
    Pictured bottom to top: Bloodwood top/Mahogany core/Walnut back ... elegance is here to stay!!!

Attached Files:

16. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    Simple and elegant, this will be nice!

17. Sounds cool...

18. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Ok, a little upgrade bump ... the bass is at the start.
    Just in time I realized that I wasn't satisfied with the custom body shape we're at ... all in all it was a cool shape but after all "this line this way, that line that way" when I looked at the whole instead of focusing on every single aspect of the shape I just realized that the bass lacked that "CB flavour" I fell in love with.
    So, long story make short, it will be a "D" model with just a couple of personal touches ... my 32" custom D fretless! :hyper:
    Sorry no pics yet but Cliff's working on the template so probably he'll hit me with pics very soon ... stay tuned, folks!

19. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Some news:
    the bass was originally intended to have an Aguilar onboard preamp but because of my natural adversity for knobs and switches and a couple of other reasons too long and boring to discuss here (I'd ended up with 6 knobs and a switch :eek: ) I changed my mind and choose to go passive!
    When I first ordered the bass I had this feeling about conceiving an instrument as versatile as possible: I think it's a common feeling between people ordering a custom bass ... maybe it's an attempt to contrast the uncertainity naturally involved in the process.
    Anyway I've decided to go for simplicity in order to fully "taste" what for me are novelties: infact for the very first time I'll experience a mahogany body and a shorter scale (32"). However Cliff will cut the control cavity with enough room to make it possible to flip a preamp in if one day I'd like to.
    For now we'll just let the wood speak through the Nordstrands!
    Ah ... fingerboard is cut: mine is the one on the left.

Attached Files: