Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Christmas Present !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SHIFTGREEN, Dec 25, 2002.

1. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    Hi, I never post here but i have a question, I am sort of a new bass player but I play for my youth group at church, we play loud though with around 200 teens attending regular, so its upbeat music.... anyway, my dad bought me a new swr workingman 4x10, cab and a workingman4004 amphead for christmas, which was totally awesome seeing it up by the christmas tree when I got up this morning...I know its not the best but I'm just glad I got what I got considering I didnt really tell my dad exactly what I wanted I just told him I wanted an 8x10 cab..but i was stupid, i should have told him about the 4x10's and I could have gotten a goliath3 from Mars for the same price my dad paid for the workingman, since he got it from somehwere else.... well a freind of mine is selling a SWR Pro Series 750x, for 400 bucks...$200.00 cheaper than what my dad paid for my amphead..would it be better to take the workingman amphead back and get the 750x, and will it be too strong for the workingman4x10's? b/c I was thinking later down the road i can always get an additional 2x10 cab or a 1x18 or something, I play a 5 string by the way ..Im not sure if a workingman4004 could be powerful enough to biamp like that.... sorry for long post, well not really, i just type a lot.. if anyone is familiar with this series any help will be great..thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS ! :)

2. take it all back, and buy the SWR head and a avatar 4x10/1x15! thats a sweet sound, you will make the holy spirit jump in those teens!...but then comes the whole moral issue of coveting goods and crap and being a good christian and happy with what you have....id say go for it anyway most christian bands have better gear the rock bands!

3. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    ha !! I would do that, but my dad is like my best freind, he is what got me into playing and taught me everything, but that was electric guitar not bass, that was my own decision switching to bass, anyway, the fact is, I am sure Eden and the 15 will be way way more than what my cab cost, and i cant afford that now, this will do for now, its plenty loud for what i need, since i can always go through the house if I have too, the main thing is the amphead, b/c i can always upgrade to a better cab if i have too.
    It's my faught anyway for not telling my dad the difference between the goliath3 and the workingman, but still, its so much better than what i had which was nothing.... you cant always get what you want, even though i usually do :) i am going to stick with this one for now..thanks though for replying.

4. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    Enjoy your gift! It's great that your dad is taking an interest in what is important to you. We all had to put in our time before we started moving-up the equipment food chain. Right now, concentrate on technique and have fun!

5. I was talking to my dad about getting a new bass system.... he just ended up giving me $1000 for Christmas.

Its cool that your dad took the time to go out and get the stuff, and apparently he at least did some research or asked some people.

6. What a cool gift, what a generous thing for your Dad to do!!!

1) Should you rtn the WM head, and buy the 750? Hmm... only if you can communicate to your Dad how much you appreciate the gift, and tactfully explain that you found a better unit for less $$.

2) Will it be too strong for the WM 410 cab? No. The 750 makes 450 watts into 8 ohms. The cab is rated at 400.

B

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Keep that rig! I'm using that head, a 2x10T and a 1x15T, with great results! If anything, get the 1x15T to go underneath so you get the full 400W out put. It's great for a fiver, I get good definition of my 5.

So what, it's not a 750x...I'll get one down the road, and so will you...the WM 4004 and that 4x10 cab are awesome, I wish I had that cab, man!:D

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    what you got ain't bad at all. If you are satisfied with it keep what you have. I wish for the day some one buys me a new bass or something, you are lucky. congrats..

9. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    thanx for all the replys, we went and compared, me and my dad took my cab and amphead over to my freind Cints house, and put it beside his goliath3 and proseries. I mistook what size it was, its actually a SWR prosseries 350 not a 750, anyway we hooked my amp to his cab, his amp to my cab, and compared sounds, his amp had a slightly better tone, and more punch, plus it can go down to 2ohms, but his cab didnt sound much different, it could handle more watts, but sound wise it ddidnt sound a whole lot different, both could carry the low B very well, which i was very suprised..anyway we are goign to find out tomorrow if we can take back the amphead, so I can go and get the proseries...later down the road I will probably get a used goliath junior 2x10, maybe on ebay or something.

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Well, the Pro Series is a fine line, if they'll let you do a switch, then that's great! If not, then don't be disappointed, cuz you'll still have a great amp!

11. yup.

:D

B

12. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Congrats on the new setup. You got an awesome rig.

I'd try to go with the 350 series if you could swing it. Although the Workingman 4004 has the built in rack with extra space for a nice rack goody to add on. Just a thought.

Can your dad adopt me? :D

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Any suggestions for that rack goody? LOL!

14. korg dtr-2 rack tuner

15. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Either is way too loud for a church, but if youre playin elsewhere, definitly get the 750x. SWR Workingmans are good though anyway.

Where is this guy sellin the 750 for?

16. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    its not at church where I play, its a youth group, totally different atmosphere, we play garage style, very loud..
    the amphead will not work out, fat sound will not take back and refund, i had that feeling, but anyway, i may just get a tech 21 pre amp pedal or something to get a better tone maybe.
    and in time I will add on I hope.

17. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I have to say a few words about MY Christmas present.

Acoustic 330.

I was waiting for 27 years to get it!

Just to tell you, guys how happy I am.:D

18. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Wat chu talkin' bout Willis?

My rule of thumb, is, yes, be a team player when it comes to volume, but you need 3-4x the wattage of the guitar player's amp to push through the low ends. 400W is not too loud, especially when the guitarist is using a 120W guitar amp as in a couple of the bands I work with (1:3 ratio of guitar: bass amp wattage). I dunno how many watts the guitarist in Shiftgreen's band is using, but Shiftgreen is really only getting 260W max into a 400W @8ohm cabinet right now, so that's definitely not too loud (or enough, IMHO! ;) ) The 750x with the right cab wouldn't be excessive either. And again, the size of the venue does matter...but that's what a volume knob is for, right?

Shifty, sorry you couldn't work an exchange, but again, you got a killer amp as it is! Check out the SWRSound.com site and study the manual, and most importantly play around with it so you can get the most out of it!:D

19. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i say keep it and be happy you have a dad who is supportive of your music, you little ingrate. kids these days aren't sentimental over anything... :rolleyes: ;) :p but seriously, if it's not loud enough add more speakers in time and then mic it until you can... ;)

20. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    That's a lotta kids in a garage but if you aint gonna get the 750, where is this guy!!!!!!!!!!!!