My new Class D power amp!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Christmas came early for me, and my better half let me try out my present for this year. I plugged my GED-2112 into it, and I ran the “Drive” channel into one side of the new Yamaha PX5 and its “Deep” channel into the other side of the PX5. Each channel of the PX5 powered a separate Mesa PH212.

I didn’t get time to put in a bunch of playing time; my wife was hollering at me to turn it down :D :thumbsup:, and my daughter said the basement was shaking! :roflmao::bassist:

Anyway, here’s a photo. When I picked up my new amp, I took my 18 year old Crest CA9 with me to get its top removed, and get the dust blown out. It’s still working like a champ, btw.

Here’s the new amp: B2AC4402-82A8-413E-91FA-2AEB20C83ADD.jpeg and here’s my old, reliable CA9 74502CBF-1617-4651-A52E-B3CF4DBFCF1B.jpeg This new PX5 looks to have programmable LPF and HPF functions. I’m super inept at these things. If anyone reading has suggestions on where to set these functions, I’d very much appreciate your help!

2. Very much considering the Tech 21 pre/separate power configuration myself, and didn’t realize Yamaha was in the game (though I probably should have). Glad it’s got your house rumbling pleasingly :bassist:

Fonkamex, mb94952 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  3. Yamaha stuff has been around a long time and is super reliable. The pro audio stuff isn't cheap, but it will always work and sound good. Nice score on that! I am definitely a fan of the pro level Yamaha amps.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thank you!

I had completely forgotten about Yamaha power amps, too.

I was looking to buy either a new Crown or Crest class D power amp, but with supply chain issues, and what not, my local dealer didn’t have either in stock. At least the models that had the output wattage that I was looking for. He suggested the Yamaha and a QSC GX, and I decided to try the Yamaha. I remembered that they were one of the local “Go-To” brands in PA systems when I first started playing gigs.

I only got to put in about 10 minutes before I had to shut things down, but the Yamaha seems like a really nice amp.

As far as the GED-2112/stereo power amp/separate cabinets for “Drive” and “Deep” are concerned, I personally think it’s fantastic. It’s not a setup that I get to use often, and it is a lot of gear to load in and to load out. But on the rare occasions that I’ve had to use it, I’ve really enjoyed it.

I have a Christmas Party gig coming up, and that will be handled by my Aguilar TH500 and a pair of Aguilar GS112s, which IMHO is a great setup.

But I really, really like having that feeling of my bigger speaker cabinets “pushing” me in my back while I play.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thank you!

BassNugget likes this.
  6. mikewalker, dland and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Nice Yammy!

I also got a lot of mileage from Crest sleds. They were hard to kill.

Fonkamex, Arthur U. Poon and Jim C like this.
  8. Congrats on the new Class D amp. :thumbsup:

But ALSO, I really like the layout of that Crest!!! :woot:

Arthur U. Poon and Standalone like this.
  9. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Love seeing the very capable transformer and power caps in the Crest

10. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Congrats on the new amp.
    If my CA6 was only lighter and more shallow...

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  11. How much does your PX5 weigh? I had a PX10 and it was an absolute beast, it did have a pretty tight bottom end. I believe yours has HPF/LPF and a 5 band Parametric (or semi) EQ, too.

12. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Cool! How does it sound/feel compared to the CA9 monster?

31HZ and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Might surprise you, but there are actually (much) more capable transformers and filter caps in most class D amps. On a watt for watt basis, there is MORE energy storage on many class D amps, and a stiffer more robust power transformer. Being physically stronger makes it more electrically stout because the secondary copper has lower resistance and loss.

14. Andy, this Yamaha (like many power amps these days) with the different programmable parameters, (provided you don't have WAY too much amp for your speakers) are the usual adjustable setups they can run able to play nice with bass cabinets as opposed to the PA bins they're built for?

15. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, in fact many pro bass amps use power amp topologies derived from the pro audio world.

16. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    For the OP - I set up a very similar setup using a 2112 in front of a Crown CE1000 into 2X10 + 1X15 Eden cabs. It really is a cool setup. I'm jealous of the Yama-amp. Merry Christmas!

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thank you!

I believe it weighs around 12 pounds.

18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thank you!
    And Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!

19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    I fully intended to do a comparison. I have to wait until my house is empty, and I’ll post my findings here.

Jim C and smeet like this.
  20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thank you! My CA9 has really been an awesome amplifier for a very long time. I hope it keeps kicking for many years to come.

I have it racked with another “Old Faithful”, my Demeter HBP-1 preamp.