Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Corvette FNA Jazzman!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I just bought an amazing Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman!!! I've played 3-4 of these over the past month and this one blew the others out of the water!!! The flamed maple is gorgeous and man, it is LIGHT!! I'm still struggling a bit with the setup, aspects of the bridge seem counterintuitive. For example I tried to lower the A string height by turning one of the screws counter-clockwise and all it did was unscrew itself and pull out of the socket without moving the saddle at all... but it went back in and I scratched my head and moved on. It's a lot of fun to tool with it though. To settle everyone's questions and confusion about these basses - they come with an MEC preamp, the MEC BEC-III 2 3 band preamp with active/passive bypass switch by pulling on the volume knob. The Seymour Duncans Basslines pres are an option you have to order, they no longer come stock. And for those who hunger for pics, I'll have them tomorrow once I get my buddy's digital camera working.
    A couple questions for others who have these amazing basses... what do you string yours with? I always used to use Warwick Black Labels on my old Warwick which were sweet, but what else works well with these? Also, how do you EQ yours? Mine seems to really thump on E and B strings, but the D and G strings don't thump much even if I crank the bass boost and cut all the treble. No matter what, the FNA Jazzman is amazing!!! :bassist:

2. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    DR marcus miller fat beams, I have found those to be the best match to my warwicks.

Did you figure out the bridge? you have to loosen the allen screw on the neck side of the saddle before you can use the top two, and after you are done adjusting you tighten it back up.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the high strings not thumping, but maybe changing your strings, or raising the treble side of the pickups?

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I believe there are two screws per saddle? You will have to change both to get it to drop.

4. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Zensunday, how did you get the non-tapered Fat Beams, my favorite strings by the way, into these tapered posts??? Also, do they even make 5 string sets of Fat Beams?
    Yeah there's two screws per saddle but the odd thing is that when turned counter-clockwise, both of them, the one on the B string side would pull out of the saddle, while the other one turned the SAME DIRECTION would do the opposite... I thought it was weird but what do I know? I'll get it figured out after finals when I have lots of time to screw around with it once I'm no longer a student.

5. You're talking about the three screws on the edge of the bridge itself, right? The screw in the middle is just a 'set' screw that locks the bridge into place. If you're going to raise the bridge then you have to loosen these. The screws in the corners adjust the height. Turning those screws clock-wise raises the bridge and counter lowers it. It's a cool feature because once you the individual string height set, you can change string guages and just set the action with these screws instead of adjusting one string at a time. Unless you change to or from taper-wound strings, of course. I'm using DR Hi-Beams and they sound good, but the B string was hard to put on because it's not taper wound. Ijust smahed the end in with pliers and it sits fine now. I just got my Jazzman a little while ago and it is the coolest bass I've ever owned by far.

6. Congratulations on your new bass! But, where are the pictures? ;)

Anyway, I string my Warwick with D'Addario XL nickel strings and find it to be a good match. They sound warm and smooth, and tame the inherent brightness of the bass. I don't care much for Warwick strings, or stainless steel strings in general, but I did like the DR Lo-riders I had on quite a few years ago. The next time I change strings, I'm going to give Thomastik Powerstrings a try.

Again, enjoy your new bass.

7. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    RD - This is a common thing and it's just because you forgot one important step in your adjustment. Happened to me before I saw the error, too. BEFORE you move the two TOP saddle screws with the wrench, you have to unlock/loosen the allen screw on the FRONT of the saddle (facing the pickups). Then both top screws will behave as expected.

The reason at the moment that one "works" and one "doesn't" is that the locking screw is directly below one of the top ones and has less "hold" on the other one - so you'll get a saddle that wants to drop or raise at an angle instead of straight across, until you unlock the front screw.

8. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Awesome, thanks JammaDave, you're my hero man!!! The pics are on the way, my buddy and his digital camera keep disappearing but once I track him down we'll have pics of it. It is seriously gorgeous, the flamed maple is amazing I've had it for two days and already everyone who's seen it, all five people, have said how incredibly beautiful it is. So pics soon, and a quick question? Am I supposed to wax the back of the bass as well as the front????

9. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Here's a couple pics of my Jazzman, enjoy!

10. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Here's the back of it, it's swamp ash if anyone cares

11. Nice. That's one sharp looking bass.

12. Congrats, man! The FNA Jazzman seems to be winning new converts by the day. I've had mine for a couple of months now, and it has quickly become my main bass.

I'm glad you asked about strings, too. I've just managed to wear the "new" off of the stock Black Labels, and had just been thinking about what to try next.

13. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks guys, the more I play it the more I love it! Yeah BLU, the strings have me a bit confused. I had another Warwick a couple years ago and it required taperwound strings so I only used Warwick Black Labels on it, but I'd really love to see what my favorite Hi Beams or MM Fat Beams could do for the sound of the bass. But I can't figure out how to get those strings into these tiny little posts. Who knows, maybe I'm just not experienced enough or don't know the right techniques. Hell, I've only been playin for 3 years so I for sure don't know everything! Have you found that your preamp distorts when you crank the bass and drop the treble to play reggae or dub? Mine really gets thick, but only on the B and E, then I have move my hand closer to the neck to thicken up the D and G. But it's not too surprising since the thing is swamp ash and maple, woods not known for lows... but it is clear and beautiful at all times.

14. Well, I personally think the bass has a lot of distortion in it at all times. It's just that we don't identify the sound as being distorted, since it isn't the kind of distortion you would hear from a fuzz box or an overdriven tube amp. To our ears, it sounds clean and clear. But I think a lot of the reason that it cuts through a mix so well (which is what I love about the bass the most) is that there's some mild distortion going on.

I'm going to try the DR brand strings, myself, when I restring it in a couple of weeks or so.

Anyway, enjoy your new bass. I know I'm crazy about mine. By the way, it took me over 25 years to have a bass this nice, so you're way ahead of me, man!

15. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Perhaps I simply have advantages you didn't have at my age like being paid too much by your father to do work that is useful and necesarry, but could be done much cheaper by someone else. Or.. you didn't get yours as a graduation present :D not that I'm bragging, I'm just saying I've been a lucky little bastard during my time and it's because of great parents and tremendous opportunities that I have what I've got. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the things I have, I busted my butt for an entire summer, never went out, didn't buy ANYTHING, and I mean nothing except a sandwich here and there, to buy my Sterling and it meant something to me when I got it. I think having all the high end stuff is awesome, but it's got to be appreciated and it sounds like you know what I'm talking about. Please let me know how the DRs work for you as I REALLY want to try them. Also, can you tell me how to fit them into the tuning posts????

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If the body is lacquered, then it should not be waxed. If not, then it may be of use, I dont think they sent it to you for ornamental reasons... ;)

17. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

18. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Check out the Strings forum - many positive things said on DR + Warwick there, just fish around on the older threads - or ask them ;)

And what's your problem with the tuning pots?

19. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I have no problem at all with the tuning posts, I LOVE Warwick tuners don't get me wrong. What I'm talking about, and it's been two years since so my memory may be wrong, is that I tried to put DR Hi Beams into the slots on Streamer Std., the Warwick one NOT the Rockbass version, and they wouldn't fit into the slots because they were not taperwound. So what I'm trying to ascertain is HOW one goes about putting non-tapered strings into posts I remember accepting only tapered strings.

20. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    So you mean the bridge, not the tuning machines?

The strings so far have worked for me... I only had to file the nut a bit for the bigger C of the TI set... The strings forum has some tips on that subject, if I remember right... Go check it out ;)