My new craigslist transaction spot

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by elgecko, Sep 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Somewhere a criminal is plotting how to stick you up without anyone noticing on the surveillance monitor.

2. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I invite people to my house. Am I doing it wrong?

96tbird likes this.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I've done that too but it's nice to have options.

MJ5150 likes this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We have one of those in our city too. I used it twice last week. They even added a couple power outlets so you can test electronics.
    Nice idea.

-Mike

Stewie26, blastoff99 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Police in our town offer this. I usually use the library parking lot, though.

6. ASQTec

ASQTec Above Average Supporting Member

May 2, 2010
    That's just irresponsible. I use my girlfriend's house.

7. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    That's a great idea.

A place with outlets would be real handy to have around. I would actually consider using craigslist again if we had one of those here.

8. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    In-laws house would be better :)

9. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    I just go to there place. Been murdered twice, no big deal, my head is in a freezer and torso buried in a backyard, lower body in a car boot on ice.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Gazman, 96tbird, Fat Freddy and 2 others like this.
  10. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Supporting Member

Drummers house.

11. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    My last CL transaction took place in the sellers weekly flea bag motel room.
    Seems drug money is more important to some people than their music gear..

I did think twice before going in, but I can hold my own against a dude having withdrawals

catcauphonic and bholder like this.
  12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Years back, I felt slightly guilty buying a nice acoustic guitar for $20 from a desperate druggie. Karma caught up with me - I loaned it to an acquaintance while he was going through detox / rehab, and he promptly relapsed, crashed out, and lost it. Oh well. I hope someone out there has and uses it, it was too nice an instrument to just get tossed.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Are you sure it wasn't stolen?

-Mike

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I bought a Yamaha 8 channel powered PA head for having little jams at the house this past week while I was down at the beach. The guy wanted to meet at the police station of a nearby small town only 10 miles away. My first thought was "Cool, that seems like a safe place."

Turns out the guy was a detective and was leaving work when we met. It made me nervous because I practically stole the thing. :cool: It had been more then $500 new and I handed him 4 $20 bills for it. Looks like it was never used. No noise on any pots or slides. Strong and clean. Neutrik jacks. He had used it for playing with multiple guitars in a southern gospel band 5 years ago and then put it in a closet since then.

I've heard the police allow for swap meetings in their parking lots here as well. Of course, we're going hipster as hard as we can so there's also a "hammock garden" :vomit: downtown with outlets that I hear has become the spot for such things. The only thing the hammocks are used for is funny pictures for Facebook and having sex until you get caught and run off. :wideyed:

15. I use Guitar Center or Sam Ash parking lots :bassist:

16. slobake

slobake resident ... something

I just invite people to my friend Vinnie the Finger's house. If anything goes south he gets heavy.

GIBrat51 and Stewie26 like this.
  17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I think that the safe transfer place is a good idea, but video monitored? There is a million ways around that and by the time anyone could get there the thug is long gone. I have been buying and selling tons of bass gear from my home for years, and never met a flakey bass player - usually very cool guys and gals. You can tell by the 3rd email or text what kind of person they are.

18. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I usually use a Starbucks location near me. They're always crowded. I will not meet in parking lots or people's homes. For bigger stuff (amps, PA gear, etc), I use the clubhouse at my townhouse complex. It's right across from our unit (and attached to the pool/gym area), so my wife can keep an eye out if something gets weird.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  19. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    I don't think the video monitoring is for cops watching 24/7 to see if something is going on and to rush out there. It's likely a deterrent and footage for just in case it's needed.

And...I agree, most people are cool, but you simply CANNOT tell what kind of person they are from the written word.

MJ5150 likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021