My New Curbow (in progress)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Mar 16, 2003.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I finally got some new pictures of my upcoming Curbow 4-String. To be fitted with Basslines MM/J pickups and Lakland-Bartolini preamp:

Buckeye Burl top picked out by Jason (bassmonkee)

Mahogany Back

Top being filled in:

Body waiting to be carved:

2. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    WOW! that is one of the most insane pieces of Buckeye ive ever seen! thats gunna be sweet! its pretty weird the amount of colors that buckeye burl can be.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    very nice. yep, i need a buckeye bass.
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Not a big fan of Buckeye ( I have a quilted maple top obsession), but it does look very nice. Its always cool to see basses in the building process. :)
  5. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I think this piece of buckeye is almost so ugly that it's beautiful!

Once the body is carved, it will get a really nice gloss finish, so it should look pretty sweet. Greg wasn't happy with the grain on the original piece of mahogany for the back, so he scrapped it and went for this one which looks better, so I'm sure Greg won't let this one out of the shop until he's 100% happy with how it came out. Hopefully another 4-5 weeks until I get it. :D
  6. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    It appears to contain, atleast to my eyes, photographic renderings of butterflies and feathers.

Begins to remind me of the NIN 'further down the spiral' booklet art.

Incredible slab of wood.
  7. Man.. you are going to love that bass! Curbows are quite nice, if I do say so myself. :D
  8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Looking good!
    Buckeye is some weird stuff, I tell ya what. That is going to be a great looking bass.
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Great pics, Scott! That top looked good before, in person, but it looks amazing now.

I still haven't been able to get up to Greg's shop, but I'm going to try again soon. Seeing your bass made it more imperative. :D

This will be the first Curbow with a Buckeye top. Greg never saw any boards he liked enough until he found this one. It's as over the top as any top I've seen in person. It will make one heck of a bass.
  10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I was thinking the blue tones looked like the ocean viewed from above. The new bass is looking good, berklee.
  11. Man, that is some seriously ugly wood :eek: