Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Curbow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikezimmerman, May 21, 2004.

1. Well, I thought my semi-hollow zebrawood singlecut 6 would be the next Curbow I'd get a chance to lay hands on, but somehow ran across this one before the 6 was done and couldn't pass it up. It's a solid Kingwood fretless XT-33 5-string, and it just showed up at the office today. What a sweet neck on this thing! And what beautiful carving on the body! The picture doesn't really do it justice. Excuse me, now I have to go work on my fretless chops...

Mike

2. That is awesome, Mike! Congrats. It's a beautiful bass.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Man, Cort's making some nice stuff! :bag:

Man, that's sweet. How does that fretless rockwood board sound?

4. Stunningly beautiful. Wow, that's one sweet fretless!

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    [drooling]Look how BEAUTIFULLY w-i-d-e that neck is.....[/drooling]

6. Woodchuck - :spit:

The Rockwood board sounds awesome on a fretless--tons of mwah and growl, not quite woody sounding but very "rich", if that makes sense. That's the acoustic sound, anyway--I haven't had a chance to get the thing home and plug it in yet! It's so hard and smooth that I have no worrys about marking up the board, either, and it feels fantastic on the back of the neck, as well.

This one has piezos in addition to the magnetic pickup, and I'm really interested to hear how that sounds on fretless.

Mike

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

Oh man, can you imagine the upright tone you could get with palm muting?!

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    dude...NICE...i played that xt-33 5 string that they had a bass northwest several months ago (for 900 bucks...) with a mahogany body and no piezos, and it really killed...

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    nice one Mike...do you sound like percy with his plastic bodied ibanez with the piezos ?

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    IMHO, there is no sweeter fretless sound than a Rockwood fretboard can produce.

That bass is definitely a beauty.

It will look beautiful next to your new 6 string that's on the way, too! :hyper: :hyper: :eyebrow: :hyper: :D

11. It sounds wonderful! I don't care for the piezo sound by itself, mostly because the tone and balance is rather inconsistent from one string to another, but blended with the magnetic pickup it adds a nice bit of "stringiness". The tone does remind me a little of Percy Jones...of course, the playing isn't quite a up to the task.

Mike

12. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Sweet bass, Mike! At this rate, you'll have, what, ten...eleven...Curbows by the end of the year? :p

13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    "It's so hard and smooth that I have no worrys about marking up the board, either, and it feels fantastic on the back of the neck, as well."

Interjection: It worries me that I laughed my arse out of the chair when I read that...

Great bass, If I had the Money I wouldnt pass it up either. Too bad its not a Six stringer though!!! I LOVE the Look of Six string Fretless!

14. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Great score Mike, I've always liked this bass. Enjoy!

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

15. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    try felt behind the saddles on the bridge and see if that helps ..