Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Custom fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MichaelScott, Jan 27, 2005.

1. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 5 months of anxious waiting I finally got my custom Fretless in the mail from the luthier Steve Cyr .

As you can see from the pics it is quite pretty- I catch my breath every time I open the case and take it out. I just got it today and I've forgotten how to breath about 8 times today.

Here are the components in case you are wondering:

Maple body

Walnut center sandwich

Spalt maple top

Maple neck

Birdseye maple finger board

Flat wound nylon coated strings

Guided hand slow wound P style pickups and hum canceling J pick ups by Ronnie Sweet .

The knobs are blend, vol, tone (although after having it in my hands I realized I don’t really need a tone control for the type of strings).

The great things:

It has crazy sustain. It is hard to explain but when I pluck a note it almost swells and gets louder before it dies away.

The vibrato on it is amazing. I feel like I can be super expressive and every little thing comes out cleanly.

The sounds is warm and even the bridge pick up has a mellow bitterness to it that sounds like a mournful bassoon.

I bought this for more of my acoustic type gigs where I would be the only one plugged in. It has this amazing presence (I'll try to make a recording but it might take me a few weeks).

Many thanks to Steve and the TB members who answered my questions when I was choosing what design and woods I wanted.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's about as good looking a bass as I have ever seen. I know you are proud of it. I'm looking forward to a sound clip.

3. Excellent choice, nice taste, worth the wait,

congrats

4. I dig it!

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    That is a beautiful bass! Love the spalt maple top!

It has a maple body - is it heavy? I'd think a maple body would give it a great sound though, as you describe it, lots of sustain and swell.

How is the birds eye maple fingerboard feeling? How is it treated? Epoxy?

Congratulations!

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Beautiful instrument! I used to play a fretless maple board PBass with tapewounds, so I have an idea of the sound you are getting. I bet it sounds astounding.

Enjoy it. Great pics!

I rate this thread A++++ ;) :D

7. Lovely bass man - really nice - Ari (who posts a lot round here) has a very lovely Sadowsky fretless five that is really nice - and has a very similar top wood - personally I love roundwounds on my fretless - but this is obviously exactly what you wanted, so I'm sure it's killin' - nice one.

8. Very, very nice! That is a THICK spalted top! It's really stunning.

Appears to be very well crafted.

Congrats!!!
    Jeff

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    She's a looker no doubt. Look forward to hearing it :)

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Sweet custom PJ!

Congrats Man!

11. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Wow, amazing looking bass. That is a very thick spalt top there :eek: