My new custom Lull bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bdgotoh, Feb 21, 2006.

1. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I just picked this up today at Mike's shop, what a great bass!

I snagged a P4 here on TB a couple of years back and it really took me by surprise. Great tone and awesome feel. I've wanted a really nice early 50's style bass for a long time but was put off by the huge necks, slab bodies, and single coil pickups. I talked with Mike and he built a vintage-style P4 for me.

The specs:
    Ash body, Fiesta Red finish
    Rosewood board, Jazz width at nut
    Duncan stacked humcanceller SCPB pickup, staggered poles
    Weighs 8.0 lbs!

2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Very nice! I will be getting a used MV4 on Wednesday from a trade. I can't wait to check it out. It will be my first Lull.

Enjoy yours!

3. bdgotoh

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Thanks Mark. I bet you love that MV4, Mike makes awesome basses. I prefer passive controls so I have a V4 and it is the nicest Jazz I've ever had.

I'll be interested to hear what you think.
  4. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    See how little I know about his basses...mine is also passive, does this make it a V4 and not an MV4?
  5. Congrats, I just got an M5V and I love it to death. Yours is very cool!
  6. bdgotoh

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Yep, the V4 is a Jazz bass that has the passive controls mounted from the front, with vol/vol/tone and the output jack on the control plate - just like a "standard" Jazz.

The MV4 has a similar look from the front but also has a large rear routed control cavity, a battery box on the back, and the output jack on the edge of the body. The controls are vol/vol/passive tone/stacked bass and treble controls.
  7. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Ok, I am getting a V4. Thanks for the clarification.

8. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    nice one :)

very much like mike dirnt's fender?
  9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm not much for the Lull headstock, but other than that, I dig it.
  10. Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    That is just stunning....and the color is perfect...

How does it sound???

I wouldn't be surprised if Lakland started putting something like this out too, it's just a great idea.

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm not a fan of early P-basses, but it's nice to see ML take on a custom job like this and add his impeccable craftsmanship to it.
  12. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new Lull! :hyper: I'm a big fan and am always thrilled to see a fellow TBers join the Lull club. ;)

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Not really. The Dirnt has a giant baseball bat of a neck, P Bass spacing at the nut, a split coil modern P Bass pickup, and a BadAss II bridge.

Other than that, they are similar. :D
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Love it!

It's so cool that the original P-bass design is making a comeback. I'll be on that bandwagon shortly (mine will be by Benavente, though).
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    So what is it about the headstock that people have such a hang about?
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You asked, so here's my 2¢ as former Lull P5 owner and Fenderphile:

Some companies (MM, G&L, Sadowsky, Benavente, even Yamaha and Lakland) have captured the Fender headstock vibe reasonably well. But for some reason (too sleek?) the Lull h/s isn't the best match for Fender body styles. (I think it looks fine on its own or with the Lull Modern design).

Yes, this is a nitpick. The Lull h/s didn't prevent me from buying the P5, and certainly had nothing to do with me selling it. Heck, I think the Lull P5 headstock is more attractive than the MusicMan Stingray 5 headstock, and that's far from a fugly design either.

And of course it's just opinion. Can't please everyone. Some people hate the Fender headstock.
  17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Because it effect playability...... Oh wait, no it dosen't.

It effects ummm.... uhhh..... nothing. :) At least it's not a "fish gasping for air" LOL :D

I'm not rally crazy about SCPB by any maker but I'm sure it's killer. I like the fact that it has a stacked p/u because the hum would get to me after a while/
  18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
  19. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    That's already taken anyway. :bawl:

Seriously, I was about to make the same point that Nino made earlier this evening but just couldn't bring myself to type the words. Granted, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and I am aware of the fact that looks are subjective (and possibly over-emphasized by some). Nevertheless, the point remains...the shape of the Lull headstock, just like the shape of the Fender, Lakland, Sadowsky, Celinder, Nordy, Valenti, SX, etc., etc., etc., is purely fuctional. It doesn't affect playability, tone, fit and finish, etc. As long as I have a bass with these elements, the headstock shape, hardware color, and shape of the knobs are all secondary, I suppose. :smug: