1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My New Cut Box. Also, how to wire a bypass switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eilif, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    So I built a "Cut Box" (at least that's what I'm calling it since it cuts highs and signal). Though I'm intending it for use with my pedal steel (which has no onboard controls), I'm already thinking of how to use it with other instruments and possibly my upright.

It's nothing more than a P-bass circut in a box, with an input jack instead of a pickup. I put it in the box from some sort of Ham Radio device that I found at the resale shop. The pressure gauge dial plate covers the space where a meter used to be.
    20170728_180320.
    As another neat bit, the two knobs are from an old analog autopilot that my uncle pulled out of a boat he is restoring. Here's the innards.

20170728_150213. 20170728_150152.

As you can see from the back, it's a bit bigger than it needs to be.

20170728_180354.
    Yep, those are beer bottle rubber washers filling the holes that were too big for the input jack.

So it works fine but here's my question. It's got the original two position switch still in place. Could I wire it up to be a by-pass?

2. Connect the jacks to the commons, the pots to one set of throws, and keep the jumper on the other set of throws.

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks! Unfortunately, my tech knowledge is pretty meager (I copied the hookups from the SD website).
    Are you saying that I should...
    -run a link from the live on each jack to the center two prongs on the switch
    -put the live going through the pots through one side
    -put Ground going through the pots through the other side

4. Like this, with the input and output corresponding to the jacks, and the effect send and return corresponding to the pots.
    TB_basic.

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks!
    I'll try and give it a go tomorrow.

Then it's off to the hardware store to find some kind of clamp to attach it to my steel.