Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Dave Pushic Viking Bass Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hengishammer, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Hengishammer

Hengishammer

Nov 14, 2003
    Heyas all,
    Now before this thread gets filled up with negative comments, let me say--dont post them here. I have read every single DP custom thread on the site, and I don't want any negative comments in this thread. I am posting the pics here first, and then when I get the bass in I will write an immediate review, followed by a one month review. This thread is to give people a look at Dave Pushic now, and the kind of work he is producing. After reading all the other threads on him, I STILL commisioned this bass.

But for now, I am very proud of this bass, in the way it looks.
    This is my Viking Bass.

I decided to have Dave inlay runes on the fretboard that spell out my name in Viking Futhark (alphabet). There are also 2 ravens facing one another after the name, all of which is inlaid in abalone.

The top is spalted maple, and the body and wings are maple, with the center neck piece being claro walnut. It has an active 2 band EQ with 2 bartolini soapbar pickups.

The designs you see on the body were spliced together by me in photoshop, then dave etched them into the body with a laser etcher.

The finish is tung oil, with a varnish coat on the top.

For now, you can drool, until I get the bass next week. Until then :hyper:

2. Hengishammer

Hengishammer

Nov 14, 2003
  3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I've never seen anything like that!

Enjoy!

4. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Thats the best use of spalted top i've seen yet. Goes great with relic look of the inscriptions.
    I'd like to see a closeup of the neck inlays.
    Vikings Rock!

5. Hengishammer

Hengishammer

Nov 14, 2003
    Heres the closeup of the ravens :bassist:

6. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    AWESOME!!! HAIL THE VIKINGS :smug: :D

7. Hengishammer

Hengishammer

Nov 14, 2003
    Ill be out of town until monday--so I will check the thread then.

8. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    That is an awesome bass, makes you wanna stand up and scream "ahahhahahahaha , come from the land of the ice and snow , where the ????????? and the hot springs blow , hammer of the gods, ill drive my ships to new lands and so on".

9. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Wow I really like that! The overall effect is just... cool. Looks like it would fit right in place in a Viking longship.

10. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I love the raven inlays, it really gives your bass its finishing touch... It makes me wanna bash people over the head with it or something :D
    You have a furry, horned helmet at home by any chance?? ;)

11. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Bass looks stunning...very unique.

Just out of curiosity, when did you place your order for it with Dave?

Thanks, and enjoy the bass! :)

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It has what looks like a big ol' bullum head.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Nice.

Can you post a pic of the headstock?

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :eek:

I've seen 'im! I've seen 'im with a bullum head! :hyper:

I think your Pushic looks great, but it ain't my thing. You don't get much more personalized than that, so if you are happy, I'm happy for you! :bassist:

15. Hengishammer

Hengishammer

Nov 14, 2003
    Its due to arrive this week, and I will post all sortsa picture then:)

16. Hengishammer

Hengishammer

Nov 14, 2003
    Alrighty folks, here is my review of the Dave Pushic Viking Bass, that I received 06-17-04. I had stumbled onto his website, read about his guarantee, read the customer reviews, and decided to take the plunge.

When I first came to talkbass, I saw that some people bought Dave Pushic Basses, but not all of their opinions were the same concerning his basses, and craftsmanship. This scared me, especially when I only had a certain amount to purchase one instrument that would be me bass for a long, long, time. I called Dave and told him that I was thinking about canceling my order based on what I read here at Talkbass, and understandably Dave was not upset, but more disappointed. We talked it through though, and he told me of each circumstance that happened here on Talkbass and what was done to fix each person’s problem. In the end, Dave did not want to build the bass for someone if they did not have faith in him, and after hearing the steps he took with each problem I was convinced. I had to ask him build the bass again, and he accepted. We both understood each other’s points of view, and that a customer, builder relationship is important. In the end, it was the guarantee that sold me. If anything ever goes wrong naturally with this bass, you just ship it to him. If you didn’t like something, just ship it to him and he can fix it. If you want to add something, (of course it will cost more) but just ship it to him. There is no other guarantee like that that I have found. What other luthier would be willing to give this guarantee?

I was told there would be a waiting cue, and I had to wait in line. I was behind 12 people approximately. I finally received an email from Dave, saying that he would begin work on the bass January. During the time of work, Dave’s father passed away. I can understand how this would effect the time of bass completion. So, my originally quoted 6-8 weeks turned into 5 months. There was also the fact that this bass was especially different, in that the etchings and inlays took more time than a normal type bass. He also started the project over from scratch because he didn’t like how the etchings were matching the top, and instead decided to make the top one bug piece. Also there is the fact on Dave’s Website that everyone seems to overlook, the fact that he is semi-retired. This means Dave does other work than building basses. So if you think about that statement and take all things into consideration, the time was horrible to endure, but justifiable and necessary to produce a quality instrument.

I will say that since Dave builds basses on the side, that he builds around holidays, and important events that happen in ones life. This is to be expected, because we’re all human. I as an artist know this, because I draw when I feel like it. If I try to draw when I don’t feel like it, then most of the time the drawing will reflect this, and turn out crappy. Sometimes I look at a drawing over and over and still, you can miss something, because you need another set of eyes, or perhaps to take a break for a while and come back and look some more. A custom instrument is hard to do—because you’re trying to take one persons vision, and tell another person to make that vision a reality. I understand all too well what its like to make something as an artist, which is what Dave Pushic is. Well, after a year and a half total time waiting on the building cue, and around 5 months construction, its here, and here is the review.

Bass Type: 5 String Fretted
    Neck join: Neck through
    Neck Construction: 3- piece maple & Claro Walnut
    Fingerboard: Gabon Ebony 35” Scale 24 frets w/ Abalone Shell inlays
    Body: Spalted Maple Etched on Maple
    Finish: Tung oil and Polyurethane
    Pickups: 2 Bartolini Soapbar pickups
    Hardware: Hipshot Gold bridge, Gold Gotoh Tuners, Gold control knobs,
    Dunlop gold straplocks.
    Electronics: Active/Passive Bartolini Preamp

These are rated in percentages.

Construction: 95% There are some minor and I mean minor things like rough shaping on the headstock, and the pickup cavities being a wee bit routed out of the pickup template, but these things are barely noticeable.
    Appearance: 100% What can I say? I’ve never seen a bass like this ever, and since I thought up the combination of the design, it’s exactly what I wanted. I pieced together the etchings in photoshop, and sent them to Dave, and he etched them into the body. The inlays are clean, and tight, no gaps,---it looks so professional. When I showed this bass to my friends and co-workers their jaws just dropped. It’s the most beautiful bass I have ever seen.
    Playability: 100% I played a 1964 fender 4 string once that this guy had and it was so great. It sounded awesome, you barely had to touch the strings and sound just flowed from that instrument. The action is low, but the strings don’t hit the fretboard at all. I’m truly amazed. I’ve played a lot of basses in my time too, and none of them can hold a candle to this bass.
    Sound: 100% It’s very hard to try to describe sound. But here goes—this bass sounds to me like piano strings. You know if you thump a piano string that the sound just goes and goes? If you brush your hands on the strings you get a crisp bell harmonic that just goes on and on. It slaps like a monster, bright, clear, yet deep and angry. It also sounds excellent on walking lines, etc. I haven’t heard a bass that sounds this good as well. The only thing that came close was that old fender, but it didn’t have the range this bass has, nor the crispness. I can’t put it down.
    Customer Service: 95% I will say that Dave is a great guy, and answers all emails promptly and politely. I think sometimes he gives a customer a round about completion date that is static, but hey, like I said, when you take into consideration that he has a life, and that he had extenuating circumstances, then this is justified. He’s a great guy, and he doesn’t want to commit to a date that would compromise the integrity of the instrument.
    Value: 100% I challenge anyone to find a value like this anywhere. Where can you find a builder that will make anything you want, any shape, any form, of thousands of different wood combinations, that will customize it to the extreme, AND offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, that if anything goes wrong, that he will fix it for free for LIFE?!?No where. You cannot beat this deal anywhere period.
    Overall: 100% I love this bass, and I will pass it on to my children. I have the ultimate instrument for me, and all my other instruments will be standby’s now. If I had to do it over I definitely would, and if I ever hit the lottery I will buy at least 5 more basses from Dave. I would not sell this bass even for more than 5 times for what I paid for it. It’s that great.

I am one happy Pushic Customer, and if I can answer any other potential customers questions, then by all means contact me, and I will try. I know that his site is a little daunting at first glance, being that it’s simple and all you have is reviews to look at. But reviews tell a lot. Out of all the basses he’s built he has a great ratio of people that were happy with their instrument verses people that were not happy. You are receiving what you want from a bass builder at a price that is significantly lower than any other bass builders out there, with exactly what you want, AND a 100% guarantee for LIFE.
    Even if it means for the Life of Dave Pushic, It’s still an unbeatable deal.

One more thing, concerning Pushic and these boards—there were some people that were unsatisfied with his products for whatever reason and that’s fine. But in forums when people get into a flaming frenzy, they get onto their soapbox and feel like they have something to add too. I felt the same way after reading all the threads I did about him, I felt that I might have made a mistake. Really, you have to realize what threads in a forum are, which is 2-4 people who DID deal with Dave, and the rest are “opinionizers” who throw their feelings in on top. It’s like accusing someone of child molestation---once it’s been said, it’s hard to erase it. Dave took care of each situation and handled it as any upright an honorable builder would. The Negative comments tend to have more weight than positive comments, but I advise you to look at what you’re getting, and look at what you are reading in forums before making your choice. I almost made a HUGE mistake in canceling this bass because of the forum here. I’m so so so glad that I gave Dave a chance.

Anyone wishing to ask me any questions about the process of dealing with Dave, or about the construction of my bass, feel free to contact me here at Talkbass via PM, or email
    (hengishammer@sbcglobal.net) withought the parentheses.

When I get home I will take more pictures of this thing, but for now Im too busy showing it off !LOL :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

17. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I think it looks cool, reminds me of a Norse ship or something

18. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'll drink to that!

Wench! Bring me thou lordst mead grail!