My new DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by 6 string demon, Nov 21, 2004.

1. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    Last week i bought my very first doube bass and i coudlnt be happier. its a 1930's german, solid construction. its a little bigger than a 3/4 but a bit smaller than a full 7/8 i belive. im so happy its sound great. im going to get the david cage realist for it next week. :hyper:

here are some pics.

sorry the pictures arn't brilliant, and theres a toy bass in the foreground. :bag:
  2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    how do you do to intonate a DB??????? is it hard without the independent saddels?
  3. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    oi :rolleyes:

There are no frets to intonate for.
  4. Congratulations. It looks beautiful.;)
  5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Hold up your left hand. Put it on the strings and pluck or bow a note. When it doesn't sound like hell, then the bass is intonateded. And yes, it's hard.
  6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Gorgeous man! I love that dark finish! Really dark UB's are so slick.
  7. Klelewon

Klelewon Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    That's a very nice bass. How does it sound? Congratulations! Enjoy your new baby!
  8. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    it sounds great, very loud and has a gorgeous tone. im so pleased. thanks for the kind words. maybe i need to change my name now? hehe
  9. We agree! Bass looks GOOD! Congrats.....
  10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    think before answering.... when you play a note it is in tune in one position over the board if you get used to that position after a re-stringing youll probably try to intonate your DB the same it was (or the most accurate posible) the last time you played it, i wanted detailed info abput that process.
  11. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    In a certain sense, you can sorta say that a bass can be intonated by the placement of the bridge, but I wouldn't call it intonation. Moving the bridge forward/back affects the string length, which then affects where your notes usually show up. But if you're wise, you keep the bridge in the same spot; move it too far/close from the soundpost might result in the soundpost or bridge breaking through the bass' top. Bridges are supposed to centered around the f-hole notches.

If I were you, I'd forget about this intonation business by way of moving the bridge anyway. I find that so many times the way I place my finger on the string affects the intonation of a string greater than the degree that any kind of "bridge" or "saddle" intonation could ever do. IMO, nothing can help you stay in tune, except some broken-in strings and some good ears. I'd rather be able to stay in tune even if my strings go out of tune. Furthermore, relying on your ears is also important if you need to switch basses where the string lengths are completely different. A REALBASS isn't anything like a plank. Both have 4 strings and similarities probably end about there.
  12. This may give you an idea where some of us are coming from here @TBDB. I'm a pro jazz double bassist.....i've been doing that for close to 50 years.
    I've never played slab, nor do I (obviously) know anything about it. I love some slab players especially in the Brazilian and latin genre.
    I do consider it for what it is...a bass guitar. So you are talking to someone who plays a totally different instrument from you.
    I don't know from intonate, at least in your terms. I also don't know from independant saddles (correct spelling for saddles) either........See what I mean?
  13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    thx, thats a really nice answer and thx for the correction, i was courious about that because im a bass guitar played and i've been recently having probs with my intonation and dead spots.

BTW 50 years of playing :hyper: congrats :D .
  14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    thx to you too.