My New Dean Rhapsody BB4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chump stain, Jun 4, 2003.

1. I wanted to have a bass that I could set up and keep in 1 whole step dropped tuning (DGCF), and I found a good deal on this bass so I bought it.

It's a Dean Rhapsody BB4. Bubinga top on a Mahagony body, with Grover tuners, EMG-HZ pickups and so on and so forth.

After I set it up and got it all intonated correctly, I plugged it in and gave it a once over. This thing has some sweet tone. Something really cool is going on with the pickups, when you back off one of the pickups it creates this nasily midrangey type tone. Almost as if the pickups are wired out of phase or something. Once both pickups are full on, it has a real deep bass tone.

So far I'm stoked!
  2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    that's purdy!

what's the controls layout on that? i have a czech-thru edge 4 improv that has a p/u "pan" knob--in the center it's equal bridge/neck--i find that real nice to fine-tune in a particular tone.

3. the controls are:
    volume, volume, bass, mid, treble.

I think that once you back off the volume on either of the pickups, they turn into single coils. When both pickups are full on, it's humbucking. At least thats the best I can figure.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sounds like two single coil pickups. Any Jazz bass will have the same behavior. Nothing wrong with that.:)
  5. maybe that's the case, but they look like soapbars. Do they make single coil soapbars?
    I have the same pickups in my Edge 4 fretless and they don't do this.
    It has almost a Wah type effect when you back off either pickup.
    Either way it sounds good, it has a real woody tone, almost uprightish.
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Nice body shape, I like! [​IMG]