Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new design...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cerb, May 26, 2005.

1. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Yes, I'm not even finished with my first, and I'm already designing a second. I may be getting ahead of myself, but oh well. What do you all think?

[​IMG]

It's drawn full size in that picture, with the bridge being at the line near the back. It would be a neck-through. I may go with 5 strings on that one, aswell. The way I designed the tail end might also call for a headless system, but we shall see.

2. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't like that cut-out on top otherwise I like it. It reminds me of a marleaux-bass.

Edit: Note that I said it reminds me, not that it actually looks at all like a marleaux :p, just that it shares a feature or two.

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    That wold look pretty cool as a single-cut

4. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    The cutout is probably what I like the best. That, and the upper horn. I've drawn it without the cutout, but it just doesn't have the same vibe. I don't think a 2-d surface really does it justice either. With the wood I would contour the cutout so that it would have a really sharp roundover. I would make sure that it flowed nicely into the body rather than just being a sudden, sharp curve.

5. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I have a singlecut version on graph paper, but not full scale yet. I don't like the singlecut version much, though, because I love that upper horn design. Those curves took me a good hour to get them the way I wanted :p.

6. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I actually really like it! :p

7. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I'm going to have to agree with Tim, I really like the design but I don't think that upper violin-shaped cut out will look good when the neck is put on. My opinion is to loose the cut out. Just my opinion though. It's your bass, do what design you want to do.

8. I'd almost make the cutout a bit more horizontal, and use it as an integrated thumbrest...it would make the silouette a bit more "exotic" as well....

9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    When you say that the line is the bridge, do you mean that it is where the saddles should end up or is it the front or back of the bridge plate? I personally would like to see the bridge plate scooted back to just a few mm away from the edge of the body, that of course depends somewhat on what bridge you choose as well.

I personally think it looks pretty sweet, and I like the looks of the cutout. It worries me a little bit from an ergonomics standpoint though. I think that squared off lower wing is what really brings it all together. Nice job.

10. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    after looking at the design again, I still really like it. It seems with the cutout that it might be really 'skinny' when the neck is on.....hard to tell with no neck drawn. Perhaps widen the width a bit. I like the cutout and the upper and lower horn. The only thing that pops out at me, personally, is the lower left part where the control knobs would sit. It's too 'pointy' for me and I would try and round that bottom more to match with the top where your right forearm would sit.
    But again, it's YOUR design, not mine. And my overall impression is that I really like it!!

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :meh:

Warwick Vampyre - meets - Fortress? :p

I don't like the cut-out as much, but the rest looks nice to me.
    Is that corner at the electronics compartment intentionally that sharp? I'd round it out a bit more to go better with the flow of the curves, but that's just me and my opinion.
    Good luck!

12. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Thanks for the opinions.

I'm definately keeping the cutout, but there are a few things that aren't totally definate in the design.

The line is where the saddles will rest, so it should keep the bridge further up on the body.

That was one of my main concerns when drawing the design. I made sure that, even with the cutout, it was pretty wide. 13" at the widest and 7 1/2" at the cutout area.

That is one of the areas that I will be changing around a bit. It's supposed to be pointy, but not that pointy.

13. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
  14. It is a unique design and the more I look at it the more I like it (indication of good design :)).

I'm with paintandsk8 though on the bridge. I think the first positions on the neck will be relatively far away if you know what I mean. On a short scale it would probably be really comfortable.
    But if the body is going to be quite small it might do the trick.

Disclaimer: I am very bad at visualising these kind of things :).

15. very cool. I'm tring to think of my own design myself. I like the cut out too. very unique body style.