My new Dingwall Afterburner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Apr 30, 2002.

1. This just showed up about a half hour ago. I have a full afternoon and evening of classes, but it's gonna be pretty difficult to concentrate.

The fanned fret thing is a pretty easy adjustment. As people have mentioned before, the frets are angled at a natural position that is very wrist-friendly, since most of us don't wear our basses completely horizontal. Makes it easy to do that Carol Kaye style fretting hand shifting with the thumb anchor.
  2. Funky:
    Looks a lot better in your picture than it did on website. I can really see the maple figurings in your photo.
    AS I mentioned in the PM, Michael Rhodes Z2 prototype is up on EBAY this week, want another Dingwall?

How do you like that croc semi-hard carrying case?
    Can't wait to read your opinion
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    nice one FC, one day ill buy one of your leftover basses :)
  4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    very beautiful bass!!
    I would love to try one!!
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's awefully...purple...

That said, I would KILL to get my hands on a Dingwall, Afterburner, Voodoo, whatever, I'm just itching to play those fanned frets!
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA

I wonder how a lined fretless Dingwall would sound.... :)

Brendan, Host a TB gathering at your house! Maybe someone will bring one. That's how I got to try one.
  7. WOW! beauty! nice one Funkycarnivore!
  8. I've seen nicer colours, but that flamed maple, that nice body style, and not to mention the neck with the odd looking tilted frets makes it a very attractive bass, none the less. I'd really like to try a fanned fret bass myself. Some day I might cross paths with one. Highly unlikely, but still I like to keep my hopes up.

Anyways, congratulations Funky! You've got quite a nice collection now. To say the least. :D
  9. I agree, that colour looks much nicer in that picture than in the one on the Bass Place website.

Have fun with the Dingwall. I really have to try one of the Afterburners, just to see what they are like.

10. OHHH, the G.A.S. pains! Very nice, Funky. Tell us how she sounds/plays.

Mike J.
  11. Monkabutt

Monkabutt Guest

Apr 15, 2002
    My house
    Oh man, you are killin' me. I ordered a Prima 5 and will have to wait for about 6 months before I get it. :( Awefully nice of you to post a picture instead of selfishly picking it up and PLAYING IT!!!!

12. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ...that bass is Mad Phat Dope ! ;)

Congrats and Good luck !!

13. Monkabutt,
    Interested to hear what you ordered for options on your Prima. I have a Prima six on order right now. Sheldon is starting on it in the next month or so. I am getting so anxious.

PM me, cause I don't want to steal funkycarnivore's thread.

14. Hey Geoff, it's cool if you sabotage the thread. I think we'd all be interested in the Dingwall photos we'll be seeing in the next few months!

As for this one--I just tried it through the amp for a bit and it kills. The near-equal tension on each string is a real treat and the B is monstrous!

The colour in the photo is slightly different from real life. It's more of a bright blue than a purplish kind of thing.
  15. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow, awesome bass! :cool: It's 36" scale isn't it? Must have a razor sharp focused tone :) I dig the color to..
  16. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    nice funkyc, the fanned fret idea is genius
  17. Infect,
    The scale lengths are: 37" B, 36.25" E, 35.5" A, 34.75" D, 34" G, 33.25" C (on a 6).

Funky, I am interested in those pictures too. I ordered it in October, so you can imagine how anxious I am getting. After waiting this long I can predict it will be well worth the wait. It is great that Sheldon is so busy (in a way), it means business is good. It's good to see his work is starting to get around more. So it seems, anyway.

18. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Wow great bass. I've seen them on here, but i've never heard or played one. How much Do those basses run? used or new?
  19. Hey Funky:
    Glad you had a chance to play it.
    The Afterburner is Sheldons "budget" model.
    Funky(if I may) got his on EBAY for a song. But figure the Afterburner cost about $1500 for a 5string ($200 more for the figured top), the 4-strings are $1400 w/ a figured top.
    Used Dingwall run for about this much, as Michael Rhodes prototype Z2 (one of the high end units) is up for grabs on Ebay right now, 6weeks ago Kim Stones Zebra was on Ebay, and sold for $1600.

AS an aside, my only slightly less-than-positive experience w/ the Afterburner has been crud buildup on the neck and fretboard, you can feel it and the neck slows down. I play this bass daily and for some reason I'm getting deposits on the neck. If i recall correctly the neck is coated w/ some type of wax, and Sheldon told me to clean the neck w/ martins guitar polish, and clean the fret board w/ lemon oil. This worked like a champ-lighting fast again. WooHoo.
  20. Okay, I gave it another go. I think I like the series setting the best--it's so phat! The bridge setting and both pickups in parallel have a little more clarity in the lows and more punch. Great note separation throughout. The fanned frets still haven't given me much trouble, except playing chords in the highest register.

The most remarkable thing is the feel of the Afterburner. The neck profile is very nice to my hand, and the string tension feels the same across all of the strings. In theory, this makes it easier to maintain dynamics between strings. I haven't paid attention to this dimension yet, but I will do so in a moment.

I got mine in Bass Place's eBay auction for $1295 including the Gator hard/soft case. It was brand new and I got a great deal. A bass of this quality without the innovative design would still be a very good deal for that kind of money.