Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Dingwall Prima

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by martens-koop, Oct 4, 2003.

1. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    for anyone interested, here is a tentative spec list for my new Prima soon to come:

body core: all alder
    thickness: voodoo (38mm as opposed to 41)
    shape: composite of AB and AB Hollowbody (outurned horn)
    Top & back woods: burled walnut with dark accent stripes

5 string voodoo neck - 5 piece using flame maple, wenge, or some other combination of woods for accent stripes, and other such things (resistance to warpage etc) I'm banking on the carbon fibre and the accent woods to counter act the potential instabilities of the flame neck.

as far as electronics, it'll have our own pickups (FD1's right now, possibly if this thing takes three years to build it'll have my favourite of whatever other Pup models sheldon cooks up.)

it's also going to have a set up RMC piezo's in the saddles, running into the aguilar 2 band preamp. (I absolutely love the musical quality of the OBP1)

and one of those witman pro tuners inlaid into the neck.

the controls will be as follows:

Vol. Switch1 Switch2 Bass Treble.

(switch 1: bridge, paralell, series, neck)
    (switch 2: Magnetics only, Both, Piezo only)

anyways, we're starting it soon... I'll post pics as soon as we start!

I'm very excited... basically I'm thinking a St. Germaine bass on steroids. I'm already in love with it... (this bass is the reason that I'm moving out the other one... as much as I love it, I don't think I will be able to swap back and forth between 5 and 4... I find it very difficult...)

anyways, hope this is of some interest.
    the anticipation is killing me!!!!!
    JMK

2. Sounds killer!! I guess I'll have to one up you on my Fretless Dingwall.;) :D

What is the purpose of the RMC's? Are you going to be driving a midi device or something with it?

I can't wait to see some progress pics (hint, hint).

Geoff

3. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    the purpose of the RMC piezo's was initially to drive an AXON midi unit... but recently I realised that I'm pretty much sure I'll never be able to justify the cash for an axon...

so now the rmc's are mainly for the extra tonal options. I had RMC's on a bass I made a few years back and they sounded great by themselves.

I guess I just want to keep my options open.

jmk