1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new Dingwall, with questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Newget, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    Here is a pic of my new Dingwall Super J. I got it last week and am overly satisfied with the tone. I have issues with other areas but nothing too serious. So the bass sounds incredible, it has every tone in my head, and it plays very smoothly. The fanned frets and slanted pups took about a week to really get used to, but once I learned how to play this bass the possibilities really took off. Everything is ergonomic.

However I have a question for y'all. I've heard talk about short scale, medium scale, and long scale basses and the length of the string and string eveness and all that, what does it all mean, starting with short verses long scale?
    Thanx

[​IMG]

2. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    For good measure here is a pic of the whole family.

[​IMG]

3. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    The longer a string is, the more tension it requires to bring to pitch. Medium scale is "normal" or 34", long scale is anything 34"+ and conversely short scale is anything less than 34". With a low B, 34" is the minimum.

4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Actually, I belive:
    Long scale is 34
    Medium is 32
    Short is 30

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    This is correct. A lot of 5 strings have floppy B strings, because there isn't enough tension in the string. The solution for this was to increase the scale length of the bass, from the typical 34" to 35", or more. As a result, the tension of the upper strings is also increased, and some thought they were now too tight. This is where fanned frets come in. Each string is at a different scale length, to get uniform tension across all strings.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Congratulations on joining our Dingwall family. :)

The Dingwall is either 'long scale' or short scale depending upon how you look at it. The fanning means that the scale of your Super-J is 32 on the short side and 34 on the long side.

Compared to other Dingwalls, it IS short. The Afterburners, Zebra, Voodoo and Primas all run 34 to 37.

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Is this formally defined anywhere? As far as I can tell the long/short thing is totally relative. I always thought long scale was anything longer than 34" and short scale was anything shorter than 34".

8. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Formally? Like by the govering body of bass length regulations? :)

The only offhand evidence I can point to is strings.

Short, Medium and Long scale strings seem to line up with the definitions provided (30,32,34) respectively. When you start looking at longer strings you see things like 'Extra Long' and 'Super Long' (Say like the Super Long Chromes I currently have on my Dingwall AB1)

9. Kawai(i) desu ne!