1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my new double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DELACIUS, Jul 4, 2012.

1. DELACIUS

DELACIUS

Sep 6, 2007
    Croatia
    just got my new double bass it's Italian made around 50 years old.
    Got to say that it sounds incredibly loud, perfect for jazz playing, 104 scale, D neck, in perfect condition.

All thanks to small workshop in Austria (Vienna)
    http://www.saitenspiel.at/

here are some photos:

2012-07-03170031.

2012-07-03170053.

PICT0301.

IMG_0047.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Gorgeous....congrats! More details? :hyper:

3. THAT is beautiful- LOVE me some fat-bottomed Italian girls. 50 is a bit *mature* but certainly not beyond my range... :D

4. DELACIUS

DELACIUS

Sep 6, 2007
    Croatia
    well here are some more pics

It is a very nice Bass with very big volume, at the moment it has Pirastro The Jazzer strings especially for Pizzicato.

the bass was completely restored and adjusted everything in our master Violin and Bassmaker Workshop. New bridge, sound post, tailpiece, endpin (weidler), strings, adjusted fingerboard for very comfortable playing, new saddle (ebony), bridge hight 16,3 cm (just right), little longer than usual body but only 3-4 cm over average.

Retro.

PICT0299.

PICT0298.

PICT0297.

IMG_0042.

IMG_0038.

Fronte.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    GORGEOUS! Congrats and enjoy! :)

6. WOW!!! . . . Kudos!

If she sounds only half as nice as she appears in the photos, then she should be truly Awesome!;) . . . Enjoy !!!

7. DELACIUS

DELACIUS

Sep 6, 2007
    Croatia
    Well to tell you the truth, it sounds even better then it looks so... you can imagine my happiness :)

8. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Great!!!
    Would you like to share with us the price of this gem?

9. DELACIUS

DELACIUS

Sep 6, 2007
    Croatia
    no!!! :smug::smug:

Yes it was 4500 Euros that is around 5700 $ :ninja:

10. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    I'm sorry to be the voice of controversy, but I believe what you have purchased is an "Italian-style" bass, probably made in Romania or Hungary. It looks nice, and I wish you the best with it, but the price was way too low for an Italian, and none of the style or workmanship points to Italy. Were you told the name of the maker? Is there a label?

11. Gene Fryer

Gene Fryer Banned

Apr 28, 2012
    greenfield tn
    IT IS, IMO, A BEAUTIFUL INSTRUMENT AND THE BEST PURCHASE EVER IF IT IS iTALIAN. iF IT IS AN iTALIAN MODEL, IT COULD BE MADE WITH THIN MATERIAL(LOUD-BECAUSE OF THE THICKNESS OF THE MATERIAL,IE, THIN) i HAVE SEEN rOMANIAN BASSES THAT ARE MADE WITH THIN WOOD WHICH PRODUCES MORE VOLUME. i AM NOT SAYING THIS IS BAD, BUT YOU MIGHT WANT TO VERIFY IF IT IS AN ITALIAN OR AN ITALIAN MODEL. aT THE PRICE , YOU GOT A GOOD BUY , WHATEVER IT IS, AND YOU SHOULD ENOY IT. tHERE ARE WAYS TO CHANGE THE VOLUME, IF IT SEEMS TOO LOUD TO YOU.
    aLSO, IT LOOKS NEWER THAN 50 YEARS.

12. DELACIUS

DELACIUS

Sep 6, 2007
    Croatia
    I know what you guys are saying, but I really not a guy that worries about what bass it is.
    The thing is that I searched a for a good double bass for 4 years, none of them were actually as I wanted to be, I tried a lot basses around, even a Rubner (that was a disappointing), and this bass sounded the best of them all.

Well to tell you the truth, I don't care if it's Italian, or Italian made, or if it 50 years old or less, the feel and the sound that comes out are incredible, the guy that did restoration says it could be 30-50 years old, can't really say because there is no note inside the bass..

The thing is that I got it because I really like the sound, and it looks very nice, no cracks, tuners are flawless, and that's it :)

But thanks for your info and input :bassist::bassist:

13. nicechuck

nicechuck

Jul 9, 2007
    Beautiful bass and looks like it's in great shape to be decades old, hope you enjoy it every day

14. Whatever it is and wherever it's from, I think it's purdy. And if you love the sound, that's all that matters.

joe

15. arnoldschnitzer

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Nice sentiment, but sorry, that's NOT all that matters. If a someone represented it as an Italian bass and it's not, that person is either uninformed or untrustworthy. There are many, many "Italian" basses flooding the market out of eastern Europe, and to many of us in the trenches, it's a scourge! Pardon my outrage...

16. You're right, I should have been more specific: If it were me I would get the bass priced by an experienced third party luthier, and if it was found to have been significantly misrepresented, especially in price, I'd go and give the seller hell because of the reasons you listed. But if it came out to be valued around what I'd paid for it and I was happy with the sound, I'd probably be okay with it, though I would probably still talk to the original seller.

I am new here and to the double bass world, but I do understand that you are a well regarded builder, and your opinion and outrage are certainly valid and understandable. I can't imagine what it is like to be a skilled professional in an industry where people are trying to undercut you at every turn, and I have a lot of respect for what you do.

But if the guy is happy and paid a fair price then I think it's okay to let him be happy with his decision and enjoy his new bass, and that's what I was just trying to put out there.

joe

17. neebs

neebs

Oct 25, 2011
    Manteca, California
    I want to lick it, and touch it in many foul ways.

18. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I usually leave bass identification to those with far more expertise than I have. After Arnold's post, I went back to look at the pictures. It was then that I recognized the similarities between the Eastern European basses I owned and the one pictured. In fact, it seems as if some intentional distressing and antiquing was done, especially on the back E-side lower bout. I realize that this has no bearing on the owner's happiness or the sound of the bass and it seems he got a fair price. I agree completely with Arnold and with JoeDaddio's last post.

19. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    In my quest for "the bass" i searched almost all the Old Continent, meeting luthiers, dealers and players everywhere in Europe. I would bet safely that this particular instrument is Hungarian and i think that i know the luthier. They are good, decent instruments with lots of volume and fundamentals, albeit their strength lies more on the pizz side. I owned a couple of them in the past, i bought them from the same Prague dealer who gave me all the specs of the luthier and the served me perfectly more than a decade. BTW if someone likes to know why this instrument is definitely NOT Italian, i could send an elaborated message but IMHO the point that matters is that it is a beautiful and powerful instrument.
    Mike

20. arnoldschnitzer

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Very thoughtfully said. Thank you.