Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new dub-machine; Ovation Magnum I

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, May 14, 2003.

1. Just scored one of these from TB'er dave Siff (thanks pal!) I know some may object to it's seriously funky looks (in the truest sense of the word) but I think it's purdy. I know it to be very popular with Jamaican players and is Jah Wobble's main axe and see's allot of mileage in Bill Laswell's subharmonic excursions. It's got a graphite re-enforced neck, stereo outputs and a massive 4-coil PU in the neck (woohoo!)
    Anybody have any experiances they might share with this quirky 4-string? I will be putting it to work in my tripped-out dub trio's sub-heavy material. It will be pumped through my F-1X and two EB-MM HD212's and should be a classic combo. Thoughts...?
    [​IMG]

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Yeah... that thing is going to push some serious air. I personally kind of like the way it looks, it's very unique. Congrats, and have fun with it!

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    nice one! I love the odd shape of the magnums, and just how it all fits together nicely. I've never played one, but like many basses out there, I'd love to play one. I bet that insane lower cutaway provides the craziest fret access, which is something I look for on basses.

4. Well...I can't say I'll be spending much time above the 12th fret with this puppy(!)
    :p

Different bass, same shot;

[​IMG]

5. Look at that weird PU...4 separate coils, one for each string and each adjustable.

[​IMG]

6. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I'm growing more and more fond of looking at that bass.

7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Good job, Mad! I'm a Jah Wobble fan, and have always wanted one. There used to be a reggae player in my town that played one, and it sounded great. I'd love to buy one of those neck pickups...

8. Oh yeah? What stood out for you about the sound? Anything you can tell me?

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've played the very bass that you've picked up (heck, I've been in the very kitchen in the pics!;)), and it has one of the nicest, sleekest necks I've played. This bass is very easy to play.

With judicious use of the adjustable mute, you can get the coolest faux upright/fretless sound, too.

Great bass, great sound.

Just make sure you leave the Jazz Flats that are already on there on the bass--this thing will fulfill your wildest dub fantasies, I assure you. :bassist:

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow..from the sound of it you can probably just do away with your amp and cabs and just stand on stage and play the bass without even plugging in. Sounds pretty powerful!

;)

brad cook

11. Have read much on how well-designed the set-up adjustments are. The neck has THREE graphite rods if I have the facts straight. Apparently the mute is cool because of it's switchability; no screw adjusting neccasary, just flick the switch. With those flats too.....oh yeah. I will be a modern dub-machine. Just hope that neck is a wide one and not to skinny.
    :p

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Man, if I had been 4 minutes earlier, this would be my thread! Great bass. I think they look really good. Hope you have fun with it, and if you ever want to move it along, let me know. You got a great price too.

13. [​IMG]

last one went bye bye...

14. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Nice. Wierd, but nice.

15. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Those basses look very interesting. I would love to try one and I came close to getting one off of ebay but the weight put me off. I have heard that they are pretty heavy. How much does yours weigh madsw?

16. Well, it's Dave Siff's bass at the moment. I won't be wrappin' my mitts around it for another 10 days or so. I know that it is a tad neck-heavy and is probably a hefty bass all around due to the mahogany. Jah Wobble plays his through a 23" speaker I believe....yipe. Jeff Ament is seen with one in the Dec.2002 issue of BP.
    I have read a few suggestions about setting the mute so that it is just brushing the strings for a buzzy, "sitar" like vibe; we'll see.
    I have wanted a passive, bolt-on P-bass style bass for quite some time but really haven't been looking. this one just jumped right out for me...never would have occured to me to buy one until yesterday. Cool that you all think it is as funky as I do; some can't stand it(!) But geez...look at all that chrome! How can you not love it?
    :D

17. Yes.. it does that! :D

18. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Nice bass- a friend of mine has one that he's sworn by for something like fifteen years now. It can also do the Jack Bruce EB3 sort of thing very well. Feels great, def. a unique instrument.

Does NOT do the jaco tone.:D

19. Dude..... with that purchase, you are the luckiest man alive..... if only I'd seen it before you....

If I ever see one round here, I am going to buy it, I just so want one of those.

:bawl: :cool:

*demandes lots of recordings and the like*

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Played one at a local music store.
    underated bass, plays well. nice neck,
    Killer bottom end.
    went back to buy it, was gone. on my wish list.