1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new E-string broke while I was installing it... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by phayes1007, Aug 11, 2012.

1. phayes1007

phayes1007

Apr 19, 2011
    I bought a set of DR-"Rare" acoustic bass strings last weekend... [and to my frustration] the outer winding of the E-string eventually began to "unwrap" and separate from the string-core as I started bringing it to proper tension.

I'm pretty new to the "acoustic bass world", as I just bought my first one 2 weeks ago (it's an Ibanez 4-stringer), but I've been playing my electric 5 & 6-string basses for a few years, I've changed strings on each of them numerous times (and God knows how much $$ I've spent doing that over the years)... so I'd like to think that I know what I'm doing by now, at least when it comes to changing a bass-string.

It's pretty much impossible to find acoustic-bass singles at any retail music stores nearby, but interestingly... the DR company's HQ/manufacturing facility is in Emerson, NJ (2 miles from where I live). Would it be out-of-line for me to go visit their location and ask them to give me a replacement for free? I kept the broken string, receipt, and package just in case.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    First, check with www.bassstringsonline.com for singles. Not sure if he has a lot of acoustic strings, but it's worth a shot.

Second, heck yeah I'd go by the DR shop! I'd call them first though. They will take care of you. Heck, take your bass up there and they can probably show you why it broke...my guess is the outer windings were going around the tuner post.

3. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    Same thing happened to me with a set of D'Addario's.
    First time that ever happened in over 40 years.
    I sent D'Addario an email to let them know.
    They promptly sent an apolgy and mailed a new set of strings.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Yes I have the singles available for all DR sets... If not listed on the site just ask :)

5. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    It helps to put a 90 degree bend in the string just foward of where you plan on cutting it. That will keep the string core and windings from separating.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    What scale is this bass?

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    There you go. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Jason is the man :)

8. phayes1007

phayes1007

Apr 19, 2011
    32'' scale length, I'm 99% sure about that. And the DR strings were plenty long enough for this bass--which is quite an understatement, actually. I was surpised how much of each string I had to cut off before I could wrap them around the tuning posts.

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Then most likely it broke because the strings are too long for your instrument :(

10. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I tried sending you an email. The strings you ordered are Short Scale for a 30" scale instrument. Please send me a PM if you see this but I 'll send you another email...