Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new ebay policy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hambone, Mar 31, 2005.

1. After 5 years and 100% feedback on ebay, I'm going to change the way I do business with sellers from now on. I don't want to do it, but it's apparent that there's no other way.

I won't be leaving feedback for any seller unless they leave feedback for me first. Lately there have been several transactions where it's been apparent that the seller wouldn't leave positive feedback (or any feedback) unless I (the buyer) was happy with the "product". Well, I'm not going to play that game anymore. IMO, when I complete the auction, and complete the purchase in the extremely timely manner that I usually do, I've also completed my obligation to the seller and fulfilled the requirements for positive feedback. Satisfaction with the item is NOT a pre-requisite for determining if I'm an honest and trustworthy person that follows through with the purchase commitment in a timely fashion. To be fair, when I pay the sellers, I include a note with my payment explaining my position and precisely how I'll respond. To date 2 out of the 4 transactions I've completed under the new policy have left feedback. The others - even though I was quick with the payment (within hours) and happy with the product - are too timid to even respond with acknowledgement of my correspondence. Even when I drop them a note that I've received their item and won't be leaving feedback unless it's offered first, I get no response. It's OK by me, their loss. It's a shame it's had to come down to this but I'm not going to be a lackey for these bozo's any longer.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sounds fine to me. I follow the same policy but don't state it to the seller. I just don't leave feedback if they don't. If I'm the seller I always leave feedback on receipt of payment.

brad cook

3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    That's one of the things I don't like about ebay. As a recent "beginner" on ebay I'm at a point where I have little power to voice my displeasure with certain items I buy because it will hurt my feedback worse than it will that of the seller.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    So, if everyone sits around with the "I'm not going to leave feedback unless you do" policy, then what happens? Nothing. Someone has to budge and take the time to leave the feedback.

I bought a couple things recently, and the seller sent me the "once you leave me feedback, I will for you" bullcrap. Like you Hambone, I pay for my auctions immediately upon winning. Excuse me, but I already did my part and paid up. The transaction is now over on my end. Heck, even people here at TB are that way. I used to follow up with buyers or sellers and ask them to be sure and leave me feedback. I would even do it first everytime. It's to the point now that I am also done playing the game, so I don't even bother to ask.

-Mike

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I wait untill the buyer leaves feedback. I wait to make sure there are no issues that need to be taken care of. I don't want them to give negative feedback without first trying to remedy the situation (I have 100%.)

6. Get off Mike - your post has it both ways so just what are you saying anyhow? You don't agree first and then you agree in the end. :confused: :rolleyes: Besides, you can do whatever floats your boat. I've been at it for 5 years and I ain't no rookie that's just learning the ropes. The point is that ebay has changed and to work within it, I've got to make changes too.

But I don't have to like it.

7. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I when I am selling never feedback first. Unless of course I get an email from them and they are happy with the purchase. How a transaction is handled on both parts is what I feel feedback should reflect. If I post on reciept of payment, and the buyer decides to charge back or what have you... I can't even neg em.. so definitely after both parties are happy is when I leave my feedback. There is more to the sale on the buyers part than just paying, how issues that may come up are handled are just as important. IMHO.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I wasn't taking any sides by my first comment. I was just stating what it is going to turn in to. As long as everyone starts making the same "I won't until you do" rule, then no one will ever leave feedback again.

What I was trying to say is what's the big deal? Just leave people feedback. If they don't do it in return, so what. As long as you do the right thing, that is what matters. I used to care about it, but it's not worth the hassle anymore. You said you were going to quit playing the game, but you haven't. You're still going to play, you just want people to play by your rules.

-Mike

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Agree. Give and ye shall receive... more often than not.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    My eBay feedback shows I htink 13 +'s, 0 -'s and 9 neutrals... but when I look around at all the stuff I got off eBay (countless CDs and crap) I should have probably closer to 113. But it's okay with me, I really don't care as long as I don't get pushed around for having now much feedback. I always leave it for others when everything's said and done, it's up to them to leave it for me. I always ask, if they do good, if they don't oh well, nothin' to get overly worked up over IMO.

Ray

11. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Uh huh... Check your TB feedback. Where's the love? :spit: :smug:

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    When I sell something on ebay.....once the buyer has paid me (and the payment has cleared) I give them positive feedback! They have fulfilled their part of the deal! I then ship them the item and await appropriate feedback or contact from them that an issue needs fixing (which has never happened).

I agree with the thinking that if I as a buyer provide payment, I should be given the feedback there and then - as I have completed my part of the deal. I suspect it is only sellers who don't want to be bothered fixing anything that withold their feedback, and await the buyer to leave it first! Which sucks in my opinion!

Ebay rules actually imply that the seller leave feedback once the buyer has paid! :)

13. That's precisely the case Johnny. And several sellers have stated as such in payment instructions to me. One has even gone so far as to put up some cock & bull story that they don't post feedback for buyer's because it protects their buyer's from disclosing sources of goods to the buyer's clients. :rolleyes: