Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Eden WT1205

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AxtoOx, Dec 29, 2005.

1. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    WT1205, 410XLT along w/ my F Bass BN5. I'm still playing w/ it but all I can say so far is WHOLLY CRAP!

2. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nice setup!!! Do you have any experience with the older Eden heads with the semi-parametric eq? I'm wondering if the 1205 has a different tone...

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
  4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    No, I still have my Ampeg, this is my first Eden,It does have a semi-parametric eq on it if that helps.

5. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Cool! I love the way Eden has been updating their lineups...they have alot of great products.

6. Nice rig. It's nice to see that Eden is still 'on it' after the company sale. All their stuff sounds great.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Great Choice! But you must turn your amp on when photographing it! That back lit Eden logo is worth the cost difference between the 1205 and the 800B, to cool! :D

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I haven't heard the 1205, but I heard the difference between the wt330 (ss) and the older wt300 (hybrid) the 330 came out of the cxc-110 combo. in my opinion, side by side, through a non-eden cab (aguilar gs112) the 300 sounded rounder, sweeter than the 330. the 330 had a "warm" sound and sounded even better back inside the combo with the eden 110 speaker. I was debating between the two wondering "get a head for $400" or "get a combo AND head for $450" In the end I opted for the head only because of the smoother tone AND semi-parametric eq section.

I recently heard one of the new nemesis heads (with the light up logo) and the EDEN wt330 was WWWAAAYYYYY more warm and round than the nemesis. the nemesis reminded me more of SWR or GK sound.

In conclusion the new eden SS amps retain about 80-90% of the "eden sound" in my opinion, but lose some of the tube/hybrid magic of the older designs. I hope they keep both.

9. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Have had mine for about a month now and really dig it. So powerful.

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    This is Hybrid,both channels. The main difference between the 1205 and the 800B is the 1205 is dual channel, the 800B is stereo, and the 1205 has more power. The thing I like about the new Edens as opposed to the old is the can now handle 2 and 4 ohm loads and have Speakon connections.

I should have taken the picture w/ the power on, the backlit logo is pretty nifty.

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm sorry, I got confused. maybe I was remembering the simpler eq and assumed it was the new SS design through and through.

2 ohms COOL! :cool:

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    This has the semi-parametric eq also.

13. Plus the 'new' solid state design is not really that new (the 330 has been around for a while and has been replaced by the 405) and is an entirely different design than the WT line. The new, direct comparison to the WT300 is the wonderful WT550.... same sound... more power!

14. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    When I was asking about if there was a difference in tone, I was referring to the classic Eden 3 band semi-parametric eq that is on the WT800 and WT550. From what I can tell, the 1205 has a 1 band semi-parametric eq on the second channel. I was wondering if the preamp design is the same with just different eq options, or if this is a totally new preamp design.

15. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    From what I had read on the eden forum I believe the 1205 preamp has more in common with the wt405...

I'm waiting and hoping for a one rack space preamp version soon...talked about, but no further hints :crying:

16. Seems like the front end is basically a 405 with a tube...nice.

17. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I think it's different, they have done a few thing different w/ this. They have changed the gain becuase it now has a Turbo Boost on it. I think that's the same reason the eq is only for the high and low mids. I do know I was able to dial in a good tone using my basic Ampeg settings, but this thing will do so much more. Like I said I'm still playing w/it.
    I don't know if I gave you an answer or not, I'll understand it more by the end of the day. My Neighbors were home and where I keep most of my stuff is in a spare bedroom next to their house, I'm gonna move it to the living room and tear it up in a while. Sometimes it's good to live alone.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Agreed. I had my doubts when the company was sold, but I've been pretty darn impressed with the products I've heard from them of late. That 405 is really nice. I'd like to hear a 1205, someday.

Tom.

19. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I did some checking and Murphy's correct, same type of Preamp as the WT405, they changed the gain from the 800, they thought the 800 had way too much gain. This one doesn't clip unless I have it all the way up and slap. The dynamic boost add 15db of gain, and the tubo boost add another 6db.
    The guys that own both say they sound very much the same except the 1205 has more power.
    Hope this helps a little more.

20. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i've played through one of these heads (and heard other people as well) thru an eden 610xlt... a beautiful set up (one i eventualy plan on getting myself when finances permit)- it was actually the guy who moderates the eden forum's, lane baldwin (a nice guy and a fantastic player). it has so much power but is so musical and sits so well in the mix... the eq is similar to the 405/time traveller but it's a 4 band in one channel and a 3 band with semi-parametric mids in the other, and a tube for each channel. the shelving points for the bass and treble controls are the same as the 550/800b (i believe). the light up logo is rather nice too (not as cool as trace stuff though) - supposedly they will have them on all their amps next year (2006). i'm not 100% familiar with the dynamic boost function(s), but i was able to plug in and set the volume and get a great sound out of it at an open jam in like 10 seconds- always a nice feature. the thing i really like about eden stuff is how good it sounds with the eq flat- i'm not much of a knob turner, and you don't really need to be with their stuff. that said, their eq is very will thought out and quite flexible, so you can do a lot with a little (even one click on the bass knob makes a noticable difference). and a footswitchable tuner mute is always a nice feature (especially at a jam).