Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My "New" Eden WT400 210 combo...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, I finally got an Eden WT400 head after a couple of years of GAS.

I put it in my custom made 210 combo cab. This thing really kicks. Very clean, punchy and light!

The whole thing weighs about 65 lbs. I had a Hartke HA4000 in it before and it topped out at over 80 lbs. I've played it with the HA4000 out live, and this combo sounds great and loud.

But I've been playing the combo with the Eden head for the last couple of days, and it sounds so sweet. Louder than with the Hartke head, with alot more headroom.

The Eden is set flat and the tone is awesome. I've owned Eden Metro (loved the tone) and Peavey BAM 210 combos, and this combo hits on all the good points of those, and goes way beyond in others. The Eden head just has this clarity and warmth about it. Every note has depth to it, where you can feel it as well as hear it.

The cab is tuned down to about 38Hz (just a guestimation when I still had my five string) and it has such a deep, solid sound that it reminds me of that good low 18" thump, yet the brightness and clarity to go along with the punch.

I designed the combo cab to fit any combination of rack units. The Eden takes up two rack spaces and I've got a cover plate over the open rack space.

I'll be using it in a live situation for the first time, this coming Saturday. Obviously I'm anxious to crank it up with the band.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    VERY COOL! What kind of speakers are in it?

I use the same tuner that you have.

-Mike

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    That's beautiful man -- what kind of wood is that cab made of? Nice work.

-Aram

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, believe it or not, those speakers are just Peavey Sheffield 10's from my old TVX410 cab.

Funny thing is, I originally used my HA4000 as a head for the Peavey 410 cab. It sounded awesome. I could get as loud as I needed and the tone was great. But the cab was just too damn heavy to haul around, so I decided to make two smaller, lighter 210 cabs using the speakers.

I got the T/S specs on the Sheffield speakers, and I loaded those specs into WinISD. I plotted and planned for about two weeks, trying to get the most performance out of those speakers. I decided along the way to just make it a combo, as I really only wanted to haul one cab (and use the extension cab only if necessary).

After much planning, measuring, correcting, readjusting, etc. (and those who build their own cabs know what I mean), I finally came upon my final cab design. After I had the basic structure built (while it was still roughed out, and no bracing or sanding, etc.) I thought I had better try fitting it into the back seat of my car. I had measured so many times and double (and triple) checked all my measurements. The darn thing wouldn’t fit!!! Turns out that I was using the internal dimensions to compare the dimensions of the opening of my back car door. Oops! So now what?

Well, I had to cut the front to back dimension by two inches. After I did that, I put in cross bracing and I added “egg crate” acoustic foam (2” thick) to the entire inside. The front speaker baffle is 1.25” thick. The cab was very solid, but my dimensions were off from my WinISD ideals.

After I had it all finished off (I used a Dark reddish brown Mahogany stain/polyurethane mix) and the speakers were loaded, I tested it. It sounded kind of funky…kind of muffled. So I took out the foam on the sides and put the speakers back in. It sounded better, but it still had a weird tone about it. So, I took out the foam on the bottom, but left the foam on the top and back. After I did that, the cabinet just came alive. It sounded perfect. At the time I had a 5 string bass and I had a chart of each note’s frequency. I played each note until my speakers didn’t move at all (not very accurate or scientific I know). But 38Hz (a D# below the low E, and tuned a tad low) is where the tuning frequency of my cab seemed to be at. At D, the speakers moved a little. At E they moved a little, but at D#, I couldn’t see them move at all. Close enough. Especially now that I only use a 4 string bass (low E is 41Hz).

I did everything you are not supposed to do when designing and building a cabinet. I used plain ¾” plywood from Home Depot (it was not void free). I used dimensions that were not ideal according to my T/S parameters. The speaker compartment is almost a perfect cube (20” X 20” X 18”), and my tuning port was about 4 inches too short.

If you were to compare how I built my cab to something, think John Belushi in the movie “Animal House”, where they are modifying Kent Dorfman’s brother’s Cadillac. Belushi carefully measures the windshield, and then proceeds to just smash it with a hammer. That is basically how I designed my cab. :smug:

I had fully intended on replacing the speakers with something better (the Sheffield’s are 4 ohm, 75 watt speakers wired to a total of 8 ohms, and 150 watts total), but damned if this cab doesn’t sound perfect as is. It handles my Eden amp cranked wide open and they don’t distort. Go figure.

I’ve used this cab on many gigs with the HA4000 and every single musician I’ve met has asked me where I got it, because it sounds that awesome! They can’t believe they are just cheapo Peavey Sheffields in there. With my new Eden WT400 head this thing sounds even better. I’ve had a few guys ask me if I had another cab on stage somewhere as they just could not believe that I was getting that kind of volume and tone from a 210 cab.

Just dumb luck I guess. :smug:

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks! It's just plywood, but I stained it with a dark Mahogany stain that is mixed with polyurethane. Then I finished off with three coats of poly on top.

I only play out locally and I always haul my cab in the back seat of my car, so I'm not worried about it getting banged up.

On the back, at the bottom of the cab, about 4 inches of the cab is at a 45 degree angle (think like the tilt back combos) where I mounted two 2" wheels. There is a handle on top.

At 65 lbs. and with the wheels, I can carry this thing no problem and I can just wheel it into wherever I play. It can get louder and sounds better than an Eden Metro and BAM 210 combos that I've owned...and it's almost 40 lbs. lighter!!!

Not to mention that it looks cool too. :) I especially like how the gold plating, and the red knobs on the Eden head go with the dark red stain.

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    it looks amazing -- on my computer it looks just like cherry wood...it makes me want to build my own cabinet, but that will never happen...i've got too many cabs as it is!

cheers,
    Aram

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks again. I wanted to make something that looks as nice as it sounds, rather than opting for the standard carpeting or tolex.

Little did I know it would sound even better than it looks! And at an overall dimension of 24" high, 21.5" wide and 20" deep, front to back...and at 65 lbs. this little combo just amazes me.

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    That tuner has been very reliable for me. I just velcro it onto the Eden rack ear, right next to the input.

The Eden has a tuner out, and I was going to keep a cord plugged into it. I've also thought about a rack mounted tuner, but I find that to be a waste of money.

Once I tune up before the first set, I find after checking it before the second set that's usually enough. I stay in tune all night anyway. So I just unplug my cord out of the amp input, plug it into the tuner. Once it's tuned, I don't bother with it the rest of the night unless it's obvious I'm out of tune.