Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New ELRICK 4 Arrived Today......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dragonbass, Jun 17, 2003.

1. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Just thought I would share this with all of you...........

After a week of waiting, I received my new ELRICK Deluxe 4 bolt-on.
    This is one of the nicest basses I have ever owned.
    First and foremost I have to say THANK YOU to Jacochops(Matt) for selling the bass, & for Carey Norstrand for taking pictures of the bass(he get's credit for the great pic's).

Ok here goes....

-Buckeye Burl Top
    -Massacar Ebony Fingerboard
    -34" Scale
    -Maple Neck
    -Mandolin Frets(again another thanks to Carey for replacing them)
    -Bartolini Pickups
    -3 Band EQ w/ Switchable mids
    -Active/Passive Switch
    -Hipshot Hardware

Review so far.....

I Love it! I still can't get over that top!!!
    First...the weight of this bass is about 6 pounds(my back thanks Rob Elrick for such a light bass). Sitting or standing it balances perfect. The sound was near perfect with the controls flat. I have heard/read some people complain about low output..Not here, Output was more than plenty.
    The low action,Mandolin frets(thanks Carey) makes this bass a breeze to play..No effort at all.
    I really have to say this is the best High-End bass I have had. I highly recommend anyone looking for a nice bass to check out Elricks.

Now for some pictures...
    [​IMG]

2. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Full Picture of the front[​IMG]

3. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
  4. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    And Full Back Picture[​IMG]

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Dragonbass,
    congrats! That's a very sweet looking bass. My Platinum 5 arrived today, and I'm loving it.

I won't hijack your thread by posting pics of my bass, so I'll just post the link to the thread

Like I said over there, my main bass has been a Thumb 5 for about 10 years now. I've gotten used to the weight, but I was amazed at how light my Elrick is. No problem with low output here either, in fact I did have to lower the neck pickup under the B as I did have a bit of overload.

Hey, quick question. I've spent a lot of time today working out how the tone controls work best in conjunction with the various pickup combinations.

Now, with the mid cut/boost flat I wouldn't expect the mid freq switch to have any effect. But I definitely think I can hear a difference in the sound when I flip that switch with the mid knob centered, like a mild pre-shape at the selected mid freq. Am I imagining this? It's not a bad thing, almost a cool feature, but not how I thought it would work.

But no complaints. Just an amazing bass to play, great slap sound, great fingerstyle sound. Me like.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Wow man! That is a great looking bass! I love the wood combination. I'll bet it sounds killer! I need more basses:( ;)

7. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Davidmwilson,

Hey thanks,

Feel free to post a picture of your bass, We're both members of the Elrick Club now! :D

On the mids question....With the mids flat the switch does nothing....with it cut I would have to say that there should be some change..(at least on my bass)

Yeah they are amazing basses..I don't know why I waited soooo Long to get one!

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    like i said before- i got a change to play that bass at Carey's and it was smokin!- we jut plugged into an SWR baby blue and the tone was killin!- you got yourself great bass, man- congrats!- A

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, if you insist :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    OK, I'll check it again tomorrow. It makes sense for it to do nothing, so either I'm imagining it or the cut/boost pot isn't centered quite correctly.

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Awesome looking bass.. if it only had 3 more strings ;)

11. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Very nice bass indeed, Dragonbass.

Very nice bass indeed, Davidmwilson.

The Deluxe 4 has such a stunning top.

Congrats to both of you on your Elricks.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    very nice basses, guys!

always good to see Rob getting the proper props for his awesome basses.

Dave,

that Plat 5 must be killer thru your Kern/EA rig.

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm glad you like that bass. It should have been mine.:D

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Sounds great! Almost too much bass at times, have to really dial back the bass when soloing the neck pup for slap.

She's off to her first rehearsal tonight, put her through her paces.

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    wonderfull basses you have here!!!

16. JayJay

JayJay

May 13, 2002
    Congrats on such beautiful basses :)

Dragonbass, that must be an Evolution body rite?

By the way, what are those mandolin frets and what purpose do they serve tonally?.....or ..er well....aesthetically? They look pretty cool and slick ;)

Carey really did a nice job on the frets as can be seen in the photo of the headstock.

Bravo!

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man... all these pictures makes me want to buy another Elrick.. Sweet bass man.. both of you guys... Good luck with them ;)

18. OK, I'm probably in trouble here and expect to be tossed from the Elrick Club even before I can join. My crime is that I own a Cort/Elrick Josh Paul 5 bass. This is one of the best sounding and best playing fivers that I've ever come across.....my MTD 535 is currently collecting dust. When I took the Cort/Elrick down to Florida on a recent trip and went to Bass Central, the staff were ALL amazed at this bass----i.e. "why pay for the real deal?" IMHO this bass IS the real deal, and at $649.00 new, I'm waiting for the police to arrive. Now, I played the "real" Elricks when I was at Bass Central and they are clearly exceptional instruments, so much so that if the Cort/Elrick partnership does not build a fretless or a 4 string, I'll probably buy the Elrick. But I'm getting to the point where I'm beginning to question the high cost of boutique basses (i.e. $3200 new for my MTD 535 versus $649 for the Cort/Elrick)....I'd pay twice as much for the Cort/Elrick and feel good about the deal. Having said that, what could I expect to pay new/used for a bolt-on 4 or a fretless 4?
    Thanks.

19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, you're not in trouble at all. There's no crime in owning a bass you love, which you feel gives you as good utility for your money as one costing 3-4 times that.

Could I 'get by' with a Cort/Elrick JP5? Probably, I haven't played one but I'm sure they're amazing. Did I 'need' to get a Platinum Neck Through US made? No. But I had the money (from selling my b-list basses) and loved the Elricks' I had played previously.

I've seen used bolt on / fretless elrick 4's in the $1500 range on bassgear, ebay, here.

edit: obviously when I say 'get by', I'm not meaning I'd be compromising my sound by doing so. I'm sure it's excellent, and would provide very usable tones.

20. Hey Brian:

If you ever get a chance to, do try one of these basses. I'd venture to guess that the phrase "get by" would be last thing you'd think about this bass, but that just my opinion. Personally, the thought of ever wasting my money on a Cort bass was laughable. I spent megabucks for my last three basses: MTD 535 (3k+), Fodera Monarch Vic Wooten bass (3k+) and an all-original '58 Precision (3k+). I LOVE vintage and boutique basses, so this bass has been something of an epiphany for me. Bottom line is that if you have the cash and love a bass, at any price, I say go for it! Obviously, I've done just that and it's an even bet that I'll be buying an Elrick 4 or fretless by this time next year!