1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New Elrick E-volution Six-String- Clips Inside

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Uh......yes :)

Oh wait, I mean no.

It can impregnate yours so you can have lots of little 34" Elricks running around the house though.

2. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    I just wanted to say that the track 'Quick Fix' is really nice. Cheers

ped

3. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    That looks like Money!!! Nice.

4. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Bryan you're an Elrick junky! :) Very nice bass, and the clips are great too. Thanks for sharing. Have you ever played another bass that has moved you like an Elrick? I had one for a short time. It was a very special bass, but it just didn't fit with the work I do. I think I need a jazz gig just so I can justify another Elrick. They are truly amazing basses. Congrats.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't know if "Elrick junkie" is a good thing or a bad thing :D I've sold the other ones I had when I figured out that the 5 and 6-string e-volution models were the only ones I was interested in, and I've had to sell a couple of those when my wife was injured and Worker's Comp screwed with her checks for a few months. Nothing's gotten to me the way Elricks have. I had a Pedulla that was close and have played/owned a lot of other nice brands, but they're it for me. They don't have that Fender Jazz tone at all though, so I definitely can see them not working for a lot of contexts. I'm just a hobby player though, so it's never been an issue for me.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Beautiful bass Bryan.....and I wanted to say that I just looked at your site with your artistic work. Very nicely done. I love that you seem to deal with the relationships between people and the small, snapshot moments that they share. I love that you see the art in those moments. Your paintings seem to be portraits of circumstance.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks Andy- you're dead on with that one. Unless I'm doing a painting as a present or I need to sell a cheesy one quick anyways- that's why there's all those flowers on the site as well :D

8. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    I have a 6 string Elrick (hope to post pics later) that I purchased used from GC in I think 98. I can't get any jazz vibe from it BUT the sound is clean and punchy, recording is quiet so that's why I kept it around...it's just not a general/multipurpose bass - not a negative but that's just how it is.

9. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    Hey has anyone played the Jazz style Elrick's? What do you think? I have'nt been able to find one in the Chitown area to demo.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree. But on the other hand though, a great player can make a bass work in any situation. Anthony Jackson's Fodera (and his rig) has a very unique sound that you wouldn't think would fit into a lot of contexts, particularly funk. But AJ can and has made it work everywhere. There's a video on YouTube somewhere of a guy using an Elrick 5 in a funk band, and it's sounds pretty killer- I'll have to dig it up.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I've had a New Jazz Standard 4, 5 and custom semihollow fretless 5. Ony the four is gone.

NJS basses are Jazz bass style in appearance and they usually have single coil pickups (my fretless has one dual coil bartolini pickup) and instead of sounding like Fender jazz basses, they sound like Elricks. I like them... excellent basses IMO.

And excellent bass you have there, Bryan. Congrats.
    :D

12. Congrats Bryan--it's looks very much like the 4-string fretless that you (and I) used to own! I still want that 5-stringer, though, dangit! :bassist:

13. ElDunco

ElDunco has an addiction.

Aug 19, 2006
    Silver Spring, MD
    Employee Atomic Music Beltsville
    That's a simply beautiful bass and I'd love to own one some day. But I just noticed one thing that threw me for a loop, the way the strings go from the tuner to the nut 0.0 Oh well, I'd still kill for one.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's the "Extended B" headstock. The theory is the extra length of string that moving the B string tuner up will provide extra tension for the B string. The reality is that the length of string past the nut has no effect on the tension below the nut- any extra pull is negated by having to tune it back down to a B. It looks better than the Fodera version of the extended B at least- it's pretty much the same headstock design as a standard Elrick 6 other than the tuners.

15. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Love it! Great bass Bryan. Looks and sounds terrific.

Marshall

16. ElDunco

ElDunco has an addiction.

Aug 19, 2006
    Silver Spring, MD
    Employee Atomic Music Beltsville
    Aha, I thought that might have been what it was. Of course I figured this out after I went back and reread your original post lol. Still an amazing bass either way.