My New Epifani Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tristianXzon, Oct 16, 2003.

1. tristianXzon

Oct 16, 2003
    I just got my new Epifani Cabs and I must say unreal! I bought the single 12 last year and I never heard something so small put out so much power... I decided to save up for a 410 and a single 15...well it was worth it! All I have to say is this stuff blows everyhing else away. I've played everything and some stuff I thought was great until I pluged into epifani... i was told they have a new amp series coming out. if anyone has any info let me know. Thanks
  2. fortress1w

fortress1w Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Burlington, VT
    Epifani is certainly great. I bought one of the first 310T Models about 2 1/2 years ago. I love it, I know they have now come out with lighter materials and more powerful drivers since my model.

One thing I was curious about was how to figure out the Ohm rating with the 310T. It has a rating of 5.3 Ohms, so what happens when you put it together with an 8 Ohm cab?
  3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars

When I had my 310T's, Nick Epifani said to me that you pretty much treat the weirdly-rated 5.3 ohm cabs as if they were 4 ohm cabs. I used a 310T with a 210T for a while with a Trace Elliott head with no problem (5.3 with a 8 ohm). Normally a 4 ohm cab with an 8 ohm cab brings the rating to 2.6 ohms, so the Epi configuration should be slightly higher than that, but still below a 4 ohm load. Be careful.

FWIW, I switched to a two 310T configuration with my then-new Aguilar DB750, and almost immediately blew a speaker in one of the 310s. :eek:

Now that I switched to all Aguilar, I dig the tone better and of course no problems with "strange" ohm loads. But no doubt, the Epi's sound killer and the quality is superb. Enjoy!
  4. fortress1w

fortress1w Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Burlington, VT

I am using a Mesa-Boogie Basis M-2000, I love the amp and with the 310 it sounds great. One thing about those amps is that they suggest an Ohm load of 4 and no lower than 2. The 5.3 Ohm cab seems to work beautifully with the amp.

So I am now contemplating whether or not to add an 18" or 15" speaker to my set up. There are a couple effects of mine that are begging for them.

What do you think would be a decent cab to add? I know Epifani doesnt make an 18. And to tell you the truth I dont think I need a high quality cab like Epifani for that low-low end.
  5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Well, IMO your rig will be as good as your "weakest link", so why go with another cab that doesn't come up to the Epifani standard? Besides, I'm sure Nick designs his cabs not only to sound great alone, but to work perfectly with his other cabs.

Why not go with another 310? Unless you feel that you're just not getting enough sub bass tone, and that's what you are after. 15's and 18's are okay if you are always a long way from your rig (on big stages) or you really want to get sub tones out to the crowd. If you're standing close to your rig on stage, you're not going to hear the 15 or 18 all that well. You certainly will feel it though.

By contrast, two 310s would offer a lot of flexibility. At a close-to-2 ohm load you'll be getting the most out of your amp, and a single 310 cab will handle many a smaller gig without altering the sound on stage you are used to hearing (leaving the 15 or 18 at home will drastically change your stage sound).
  6. Your total load would be 3.2 Ohms. More power would be sent to the 310T cabinet than the 8 ohm cabinet.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    one thing ya dont want to do is use a 4 ohm (or close) with an 8 ohm cab on the same power amp - unless the 8 ohm cab is rated at least 3 dB more sensitive than the 4 ohm, you really wont be able to hear it as the 4 ohm cab will be getting twice the power
    theoretically if the 8 ohm cab is 3 dB more sensitive than the 4 ohm they should sound the same volume wise, but im my experience, i've never found that to be the case
    as long as your amp can safely take a 2 ohm load, there's nothing wrong with using another 310, one of nick's 4 ohm 212s, or a 4 ohm 210 or 410 with your exisisting 310
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    really? how?

wouldnt the resultant impedence still be above the 2 ohm load the DB750 can handle?

you my friend have not tried an Epifani 1x15 or 2x15. freakish clarity and punch from a pair of 15" speakers. quite :cool:

i would suggest an Acme B-4 w/o the tweeter or third midrange driver, but dunno if you'd be able to hear it over the Epi's.

still, the B-4's a killer cab for that deeeeeeep, but punchie feel.