1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new Epiphone B5

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Matt Ides, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    So I have been searching for a new bass in the upper midwest for a while. This search took much longer than I had expected (lots of string shops, but no bass shop). But just this week I picked up an Epiphone B5 from a local bluegrass player. It was his second bass so he didn't play it all that much and I can only presume the previous owner barely touched it since the condition it is in. It looks to have a slight cave in on the top in its past, but has been professionally repaired and is holding well. Plays and sounds great and has a shallow bevel. Giant f holes and nicely flamed back.

5060590987_f9c40c660b.png

5061207786_c000fd3f5f.png

5061208792_45195103ef.png

5061216462_22d611a42f.png

5061741975_15135a130e.png

2. nealw

nealw

Sep 9, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
  3. Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Her site was a great resource when I was looking into background on the bass.

4. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    Great score…everything looks correct and in great condition too. You did very well. Enjoy it knowing you have a great bass that will be come a faithful music companion. :D

5. Love the engraving - and on the tuning keys, too! Sweet.

6. fish552

fish552

Aug 1, 2010
    Oregon
    Yes, very nice! Congrats and Enjoy!

7. congrats...nice room to rattle too.

8. Congrats Matt :D ! Just so you don't feel like The Lone Ranger around here ;) .... I also own a Gibson / Epiphone B-5 (SN # 392) that looks a lot like yours ... Our basses are close-siblings .... Probably finished by the same guy / gal that specialized in the ruddy red / orange sunburst pattern at Gibson in Kalamazzo, MI. I don't think there are that many B-5's that look like ours. I have only seen one other that was up for sale awhile back (way back) here at TB. I also love Giant F-Holes.

IMG_0019-1.jpg

IMG_0029-1-1.jpg ....

Mine has some battle-scars too ... On the back .... But it is a really-great bass and is my favorite to play bluegrass and country on.

Nice to see someone else from a far-north state that starts with "M" around here :) . I know a number of 'Sotens here where I live that have set up home in Montana ;) . And .... I meet a number of new ones every year at our local ski-hills.

Have Fun with your new G / E B-5 Matt !

9. And Matt :) ..... I think someone cleaned-up your engraved tuner plates before you bought it. Your picture is too pretty ;) . Rumor has it that the B-5 plates are actually gold-plated. I was tempted to "de-patina" mine but decided against it ....

CIMG0357.jpg .

But I did have it worked over thoroughly by a good luthier ..... different strings, new nut, new adjustable bridge, FC pick-up, new endpin and cable, afterlength tuning, and mode-matching .... money well-spent.

CIMG0366.jpg

CIMG0370.jpg

10. Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks MT Spaces. I don't think the tuners got cleaned up, more likely this bass was sitting in a corner of a house never played for a long time. The over all condition of the bass is pretty good. Both of your basses look to be in great shape.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021