My new Essex has just arrived! My review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazyphil, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Well I must say that I'm impressed. I ordered the 4-string Essex with matching headstock from Rondo on Monday. Within an hour and a half, it was shipped and I just received it (I'm near Toronto, Canada). Very impressive ship time.

The Fedex guy just left and I ripped the box to shreds, anxious to see how a $99 bass would play.

1. Fit and Finish: Beautiful. Not a single scratch or mark on it. It's candy red with a matching headstock. The neck is finished very nicely, although the fretboard looks like it could use a little lemon oil on it. Amazing finish.

2. Sound: Not terrible but not great. Fairly cheap pickups. The E string hits the pickup when slapping.

3. Playability: Not bad. There is some fret buzz, but I am going to wait for a day or so before I make any adjustments (The bass is still cold from being outside..I'll wait until it adjusts to the new climate/temperature.) I didn't notice any imperfections on the fretboard and it plays very smoothly.

All in all, this is a great bass for $99. I bought it just for the hell of it and I'm very glad. After it gets adjusted to the new climate and warms up a bit, I'll adjust the truss rod and will replace the pickups with SD Quarter Pounders. I'll also replace the pots and the bridge. This is a killer bass for $99.

Great, fast service from Rondo as well.

Overall: 9/10
  2. I just wanted to update it to a rating of 10/10. I realized that the bass was badly out of tune :/. After tuning it, it sounds great. At least as good as a Mexican Fender.
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area

I'm gasing for an essex fretless. Won't be long now . . .
  4. Excellent! My BG-80SB should be in Tuesday, so I'll add a review to this thread then.
  5. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Man..this sucks. I'd LOVE to get a CAR Essex Jazz...but I can't afford to buy such a cheap bass! With shipping coming in at around $280, it just isn't worth ordering a $100 bass....
  6. nice review, except you didn't tell us which model you got.
  7. I think there's only one model with a matching headstock...the SPB62MG is the one I got.

The Badass II Bridge is installed, as are the SD Quarter Pounders. The tone is very "in your face"; should be great for rock/metal.
    Although my main bass (MIA Fender 5-string Deluxe Jazz) blows the Essex away, it's still a great bargain for $99.
  8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    needs more pics

(please??) :)
  9. Wow, that's crazy that so many people have caught on to the Essex's.

With that new shipment that Rondo Music is gonna get in 2003, I bet tons more people catch on. Could this be the possible replacement for MIM Fenders? :confused: Who knows... dun dun dun...:D
  10. joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I'm a Bass player,but when my guitar buddy was looking for a rythym player, I went out and bought a Agile LP knockoff from Rondo for cheap money. Made in Korea probably in the Samick factory. The Axe arrived with the p/u falling out and a few uneven frets. Rather than return it, they sent me $50 to get it fixed. Good company. Awesome axe for twice the price. Just make sure to inspect it real good.;)
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Waiting on my BG-80 sunburst as well.

I am going to put on a red tortoise guard, ashtrays and a 60's CS pickup.

Killer sounding(and looking) P bass for under $350!
  12. No offense, but I can't really see gasin for an essex.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Different strokes, man.
  14. OK, I've been playin' bass nearly a year, someone had better tell me what ashtrays are by now :)

Sounds killer. I'm probably gonna go with a tortoise pickguard, P-Retro preamp, and some the Duncan QPs.
  15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    The "ashtrays" are pickup and bridge covers.
  16. Ah.

Well, good news. It's in! Initial impressions...WOW. Just wow. It's BEAUTIFUL. The frets didn't need any filing, the tuners were almost tight as can be, and the action was almost perfect. 5 minutes of setup later, and yiggitybam, I have a beautiful P-bass to match my hotrodded MIM Jazz. GUH. After a few more days, and a band practice or two, I'll give you more info for all the small things. Right now, I have no idea on its amped sound, my Eden setup is due today, but Fedex = stupid, so it'll probably be a day or two before i'm all ready to go.
  17. Just a note to my fellow Canadians wanting to buy this bass: IT's not really $99...

$99 = $150 CDN + $65 CDN shipping + $61 CDN Border charge..

Still a good deal, just not $99. I'd still take this Essex over a $500 MIM Fender any day.
  18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    To each their own dude, but I see no point in thinking you are too high and mighty to like a cheapo bass, everyone on here was a skeptic until they bought one, I haven't read a single review where the guy was less than thrilled with his essex. Just a few hours ago, I ordered my second essex, another j-bass. I wanted to try a fretless, and where else better to go than essex! I own 3 basses: US Spector NS-2 (retail $4199 new), and MM Stingray 5 ($1800+ retail new), and my SX SBJ-62 TM (cost me a whopping $129). I am not by any means saying the essex is as good or better than my other 2, but it is good enough to satisfy me. In all honesty, it is pretty much the only one I ever play at home, the other 2 stay in their cases until our practice once a week, or an ocassional gig. Don't knock it till ya try it!
  19. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I'd get an essex right now, cept Im trying to save for a BTB 405. Damn my obsession with 5 strings and my lack of money :(
  20. osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I was thinking about getting a Brice fretless for a while, but I just could'nt see buying a fretless where the position markers were in the wrong spots and stuff. And your comment about your E string hitting the pickup isn't an encouraging sign either...