My New Essex Jazz Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    Today I recieved a double boxed wonder. An essex jazz bass (blue with matching headstock). I am extremely impressed. Like everyone else pointed out, the action needs to be adjusted and a little truss work. I did so, and the results are awsome. I love the tone, it has that reeeeeeal nice les claypoolish jazz bass tone. I can't wait to customize it. Points are:

It shipped in 2 days, and was well shipped
    It only cost $140
    It looks great
    It sounds great
    It plays great
  2. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Congrats!! make sure to post pics after u get it! Im thinking of going to Rondo Music( its only like 20 minutes away) to try them!!

3. Congrats man, post pics of that bad boy!
  4. Hehe congrats! I got my BG-150 today from Rondo!

Hope you have lots of fun with it.
  5. Do you like the matching headstock. I am going to put in my order for that same bass tomorrow, and I think I really want the red one but I'm not sure if it looks cheesy with the matching headstock or not. Anyway, good luck with the bass.

6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Good for you! I've been looking at those babes. They are a great value for the price.
  7. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I've been looking for a P-bass to add to my collection. I may have to drop 120 bucks and get a sunburst Essex P-Bass. These really look like a nice bass compared to the MIM Fenders...

8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I will probably buy one of 'dem blue beauties, once I have some spare scratch. When you're as poor as me, $140 doesn't fall out of your wallet to often. ;)
  9. Well, last night at around 11:45 pm I put in my order for a blue essex jazz bass, I can't wait till it gets here :D . I am hoping saturday but I am being pretty optimistic. I have a digital camera so I'll take a bunch of pics of it right out of the box for you guys.

10. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    O man, matching headstock is really kool. Its pulls of well. Im not sure about red, but blue looks damn kool. The tone on this is seriously like on the tommy the cat live bass solo. I love its playability as well, you can bend this thing like a mofo. Unfortunately, my $800 digital camera won't be fixed till next week, but i'll make sure to get some pics. I plan to slap on:
    some duncan seymour vintage jazz p'ups

Mirror pickguard(it will look insane with the chrome controll plate:D )

hipshot bass tremelo
  11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    After 2 awesome 62 jazz basses I bought, my guitar playing brother had to give their guitars a shot, since he was so impressed with the basses (and originally, he was my biggest skeptic on a $129 instrument). He had the day off when his SX Tele showed up at work, so I got it out of the box, did a quick setup, and delivered it to him on my way home. Their guitars are every bit as good as the basses, we were both very impressed!
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had the same bass. I upgreaded the hell out of it & it was alot better than any Fender I put it up against!!!!!
  13. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    well I finally got some time to myself (about 30 mins.) and did some extremely quick sloppy recordings of the essex.

btw, the other clip was to big, and I don't have time to compress it down, I'm off to work:(
  14. is that stock?!?! cause if it is thats nice
  15. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    completely stock. all I used during the recording was my zoombfx708 and cool edit pro, and no eq adjustment.
  16. For $140 thats great sound :)
  17. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    if you think thats good, you should hear it through my amp (hartkeHA3500 w/ SWR goliath Jr.) It's nice and punchy, but extra bright.
  18. might have to get me one of those....i like the blue matching headstock :)