Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new F Bass!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ka-tet, Jan 23, 2001.

1. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    Here's a couple of shots of my new bass. It's an F Bass BN6. I just got it today and it's incredible! The pics aren't great but hopefully you get the idea. The last pic is of my BN5. What does everyone think? Good or bad let me have it. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    You have some good lookin' basses!!
    Dan

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I haven't even got my Zon yet and you are giving me GAS for an F bass!

I love the wood pickup covers, and that red 6 string(swamp ash?) is about the prettiest bass I have ever seen!

Do those strings have red silk at the end, or do they really stop a few mm short of the bridge?

:p

4. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Wow! Niiiicceee bass!

5. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    Thanks everyone for the comments. Emb the strings actually do stop short of the bridge sort of. They're the LaBella Super Steps that have exposed cores on all the strings including the C. I hate these strings. I liked the sound of them OK but they feel terrible. They're stainless steel and are very coarse. I've already changed them. I have a fretless Zon and love it as well. Let us know when you get the Redwood one how you like it.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmmm ... I wonder if I need an F Bass ...

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

ka-tet, I played it tonight - I LIKE!!!

Can't wait until it's mine!:D

I gave Jeff a small deposit to hold it until I get my money together.

[Edited by embellisher on 01-23-2001 at 10:27 PM]

8. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    ka-tet, I played it tonight - I LIKE!!!

Cool!! If you liked the way it sounds by itself wait until you hear it within the context of a band. That's where it really shines.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Nice to see that Hipshot finally went with a 5-string bridge that has symmetric release slots. When did that happen?

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    *sigh*

I thought I had got over the F Bass GAS, but it has been reawakened. I better start saving...

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I routinely go to the F Bass site just to drool over the one finished in Ceruese. What an incredibly sexy looking bass. One of these days....maybe.

Oh and BTW Munji, you DO need one of these. And then you can just forward that 'dulla T-bolt fretless to me? Whatcha think?

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

:cool: Whew baby! You must be tahd cuz you bin runnin' tru mah mahnd awl night long! Does you sang as sweet as you looks?

ka-tet - how much det fiiine young thang coss?

13. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    :eek:

My ... Oh ... My

Where can I sell a kidney or something ?

14. That is a nice bass ka-tet !!

May I welcome you to the F Bass BN6 owners club (well there isn't actually a club,but maybe there should be).

I must try and post the pictures of my baby sometime.

IMHO these are the best 6 string basses around bar none !!

I'm sure you're going to be very happy together.

15. Oh man, I am envious. Those Fbasses are some of the finest I've ever seen, in photos anyway, we dont have access to boutique instruments down here in New Zealand. I would buy an F bass unplayed, one of the few I could say that about!

16. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    Well I got to try my new 6 out at practice tonight and must say that it's the best 6 I've ever owned. My problem with most modern and big name basses is that their tone is often thin. They have this nice midrange and high end but nothing else. I have/had some Ken Smith basses and while they worked for some of the music I've played the didn't work for most. The thin Smith tone works great for some jazz, RnB type stuff but if you play blues or rock, forget about it. I've learned that fat, deep, round tones work for everything and let me tell you, F Bass's are FAT. They have a very thick tone that really fills out the band, especially my 3 piece blues/rock band. The playabilty couldn't be better. I am well pleased!

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nice F'ing bass, ka-tet:D

18. It´s a beauty.....well...both of them are...congrats

19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    ka-tet, regarding the feel of the stock strings, I have to agree, something about them just doesn't feel right (kind of stiff). I thought maybe it was the 34" scale because I'm used to 35". I still haven't played my BN5 Studio at practice, so I haven't heard it through my rig. Do the stock strings sound ok? If so, I will probably just live with them 'til they die, as at best the F-bass is a back-up. Is there anybody else with recommendations for alternate strings? I'm kinda' partial to DRs, but they are a little pricey to experiment with.

20. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    The stock strings sounded fine but, again, just didn't feel good. The F Bass by the way 34.5" scale not 34, so you really can't tell a difference in tension. I used to have a Lakland and a Roscoe and the strings tensions felt very similar to the F to me. I mostly use D'Addarios, Slowounds orXL's though I do really like the DR's. I'm still experimenting but it seems as though I always find my way back to D'Addarios. When I string shop my biggest concern is what a string sounds like dead. I leave strings on for quite awhile and hate the sound of new ones. I shop for the strings that have the best sound dead not necessarily the best sound new. Most strings seem to have that bright "new" sound for about a week yet most of us leave our strings on 2 weeks to a month or more, meaning that we play with dead sounding strings the majority of the time. Since I can't afford to restring my basses every week that's why I've conditioned myself to love dead strings. Strange i know, but affordable!