1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New Favorite Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ric5, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I recently reworked one of my p-basses. It used to look like this.

Picture%20497.

But now it looks like this.

p-bass5%20001.

p-bass5%20003.

It used to be passive. Now it has an Audere 4 band preamp. It used to be a really good passive p-bass. But now it is even better. And like I said it is now my favorite bass.

2. Gorgeous.

Perfect in it's simplicity.

3. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    The Specs are:

Body - Mighty Mite Ash oil finish
    P-pickup Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder
    J pickup - I got that off of ebay.
    Neck - Mighy Mite oil finish
    Bridge -Schaller
    Pickguard - tortoise from Pickguardian
    Straploks - Dunlop

4. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    nice. I want that.

uh, can I have that? hahah ;)

5. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    For a Raw sound I favor the p-pickup. To add smoothness I blend in the j pickup. And with 4 tone controls I can dial in the sound that I want.

6. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Sorry it is not for sale.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Nice bass. I like the new look much better, but I have one question, why does the jack extend so far out of the body?

8. Flizzy21

Flizzy21

May 13, 2007
    Which one of those pickups is not in the normal fender position? They both look right compared to the neck and the bridge respectively, yet they are to close to each other :smug:

Im tired :oops:

Beautiful looking btw... I mean like, wow, I want one :)

9. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Wow! That looks great!

Any sound clips?

10. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Nicest Mighty Mite body I have ever seen. Where did you pick up the body and neck from?

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I love tort on natural. Awesome.

12. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado

The jazz pickup is farther away from the bridge. The p pickup is in the normal position. Moving the jazz away from the bridge mellows the tone of that pickup.

13. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Ebay

14. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    his belly button is an outie and not an innie ...

actually it just ended up that way when I tightened the screws ... maybe I'll change it...

15. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado

Everybody thanks for the kind remarks ... and sorry no sound clips yet ... but it goes from an organic p-bass woody growlly tone to a smooth hi-fi preamp sound. Actually quite versatile. And it really cuts through the mix in a nice way with the band.

16. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    I figured it was eBay but was it from a store or private seller? Have had a hard time finding dealers that have Mighty Mite Bass bodies.

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ric5, am I right that this is one of your 4-string to 5-string conversions? If so, I have a bunch of questions since I've been considering doing the same.

-What is the string spacing at the bridge?
    -Does the G string tend to pull off the edge of the fretboard?
    -Does the 4-string P pup exhibit any unevenness from string to string in terms of tone or level?
    -What brand/model of bridge do you use?
    Thanks!

18. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Good questions ... I build my own 5 string basses because I have not yet found one made by someone else that meets my specs and feels right ... also it is a lot of fun to build my own basses.

- Yes it is a 4-2-5 conversion bass it has a 4 string body and a 4 string neck.
    - The spacing at the bridge is 2 5/8"
    - Most of my basses do not have a G string pulling off problem. But I do get the B and G a little closer to the edge than most basses. I stretch the string up and not down and that helps a lot.
    - 8 pole pickups cover 5 strings quite nicely. I got the idea from Rickenbacker. They use a 6 pole toaster pickup for 4, 5, 6, and 8 stringed instruments. I had an emg p pickup that had a proble covering the middle A string once. I simply adjusted the position of the pickup and the volume was fine.
    - My favorite 5 string bridge is the Schaller. I also like some of the Hipshot and Kahler bridges. The Schaller looks a little like the Leo Kwan bridges but the Schaller is more adjustable.

It is a Frankensteined parts bass. The strings don't quite line up right on the pickups but it sounds fine so I don't worry. It is not up to par with a Fender custom shop bass but I had the fun of building and rebuilding it and it costs less than a Fender Custom shop bass.

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Cool. 2 5/8" works out to about 16.5 mm spacing center-to-center, yes? I recently got a bass with 16.5 mm spacing and it's actually very comfortable for me. I was thinking of getting a very worn (naturally relic'ed) 70's P bass and making it a 5-string.

20. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Nice!!!!