My new favorite toy for my string hunt

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by krfoss, Jun 10, 2021.

1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Being on the string hunt means taking strings on and off, and for upright that means a lot of twisting. So, I got this little adapter for my power drill and I was able to take off and put on a full set of strings in no time. 10/10- would buy again.

Attached Files:

strigidae likes this.
  2. zootsaxes

zootsaxes Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Memphis, TN
    Yo bro, can you provide a link where you ordered it? My buddy told me about this magic invention years ago but I never could track one down - he seemed to imply I had to pony up and make one. Also, slightly related - when on a 'string hunt', how do you account for and handle nut and bridge string groove diameter. I mean to say, I wish I could just TRY an Oliv G instead of the Spiro G on my La Scala, but you better believe I'm not touching that thing with a file to expand, so it stays my Spiro Mitt bass. My Bass Cellar American Standard came with larger grooves that seem to accommodate both gut and steel snuggly, but came with Spiros because (Scott said) "they didn't know if it was going to end up with a gut or steel guy". My other basses were originally setup with gut, too, so its really easy to try steel every once in a while (and promptly remove them after a couple days, lol). Sorry for the sprawling question (it's early...), but I guess what I'm asking is --- do you end up cutting a new nut/bridge after you settle on what you want to live on any given bass, or do you leave them grooves wide to accommodate whatever?

3. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W1FHB4...abc_43MZCE5SX1TC94MVRTVD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Keith Rawlings and zootsaxes like this.
  4. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I made one with a champagne cork and a piece of 1/4" brass rod. Been using it for decades. I'll post a photo when next in the shop.

5. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

6. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021