Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New FBB 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pointbass, Apr 4, 2005.

1. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Okay, I had the chance to play my new FBB fretless 6 in both club and studio settings over the past several days …….. UNBELIEVABLE :hyper:

Some basic details about the bass …. It was built in 2000 by Matt Schmill and originally purchased by TB’er Jon Chewning. It has a beautiful curly maple top and Honduras mahogany back. 5 piece maple/bloodwood/mahogany neck, 35” scale, lined & fretless ebony fingerboard. Bart pups, Gotoh tuners and an ABM bridge.

The bass came to me with roundwounds on it, I just switched it over to my preferred Labella flats. When I got it, the action was set a little low, but I didn’t want to mess with it too much until it acclimated itself to the NJ shore salt air climate. So for the first two outings, I played it a little lower and with the roundwounds on it. Even though it had the wrong strings and was set too low, I knew this bass was what I was looking for :cool:

The thing absolutely sings. The neck feels right at home to me, so much so that intonation was not an issue at all, it felt just perfect. The combination of the woodiness of the bass with the Barts gives it a real good close-sounding upright tone (completely thrilled with that), especially once the flatwounds were put on it. After a very little adjustment to the string height, this bass is already like an old friend to me. The only thing I would have changed if I had ordered it myself would have been the lined fingerboard …. I’m not a huge fan of lined boards.

It’s quite a different look for me, as well ….. I have always preferred a fender-body-clone look to my basses, mostly because I like the bigger bodies (they help cover up my 6’5” mass!), but the horn placement on this bass makes it feel bigger without the weight. I’m not really sure what it actually weighs, but it sure is comfortable …. I’m guessing about 9-10 pounds ???

A lot of you guys know that I have been dreaming of Jerzy’s fretless 6ers for a long time …. there is a good possibility that this magnificent piece of craftsmanship has cured my Jerzy Drozd gas. This is the best built bass guitar I have ever owned …. I’m thrilled :bassist: :bassist:

edit: BTW, for those who asked on the last thread, I'm playing through either a Hartke KickBack 12 combo or a Hartke 3500 w/410 cab (haven't used it with the 115 cab yet), studio is DI to the board

Attached Files:

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

3. I normally don't like Matt Schmill's design but this one looks great

congrats :bassist:

4. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Thanks!

Yeah, I sort of know what you mean ..... My first thought when this bass came up was "wierd design", but it grew on me, quickly :D And then, once you play it :D :D

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    That bass looks almost identical to a Hembrook bass except for the headstock. Does the builder have a connection with them?

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i've owned two of Matt;s basses and both were incredible. Matt is a luthiers luthier...

7. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Not that I'm aware of, but I'm new to Matt's basses .... there are some other TB'ers here with much longer history with FBB. It is beautifully built and plays effortlessly :cool:

8. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    DZ,
    Shen, Smith, FBB :hyper: Man, you keep some nice company :D

9. Hembrook Basses

Hembrook Basses

May 23, 2011
    I am unaware of any connection between FBB and Hembrook Basses and Guitars, but thanks for the kind words.

Robert Hembrook